Selected in the VHLM Draft

Ozzy Batty

Selected in the VHLM Draft

As Draft Day approached, I sat in my room at the boarding house looking at my phone. It seemed like it would never ring. I had been practicing and hitting the ice as a member of the Warriors in the Junior Showcase Tournament. But as the tournament progressed my lack of skills became glaringly apparent. I was not getting much ice time. To make matters worse, I was not making the most of the time I was being given. I only had 1 goal, 2 assists and 7 penalties. I realize that I had work to do, but the gap between me and the others appeared larger than the Grand Canyon. Every day that went by without any contact confirmed that I just wasnt at the level the VHLM Managers were looking for. There are 10 teams in the VHLM and I was not hearing anything from them. I was not sure what would happen if I was not even on any of their draft boards.

But then I got an email, a team wanted to talk to me about the upcoming draft. I answered the questions as honestly as I could, but it is always tough to gauge how these types of exchanges will develop. I knew that any team that did select me was getting a project that both of us would have to be willing to commit the time and work to so I could be an asset, and not a hinderance, to the team. I wasnt sure how things would go from there, but at least I knew there was a team interested. 

Then I got another email. I answered it as well. Yes, they had me on their draft board, another good exchange. Then there was a third, then a fourth and finally a fifth interview request. Five of the teams had me on their draft boards as the big night approached. I knew I wasnt going to be a top pick, I have too much work to do so I can be a valuable part of the team. But whoever selected me was going to get a player who wont give up.

Draft night finally arrived. I watched the first round. I saw players coming off of the board. I had seen their names, recognized them as some of the best rookies in the league, of course they would go quickly. The GMs on the draft did a great job discussing the players and the things they would bring to their teams. But still no "Otis Boudreaux, Jr" had been called. The first and second rounds were over and I was still waiting for my telephone to ring. Then it happened....my phone rang, it was the Saskatoon Wild, they wanted to take me with the first selection of the third round. I almost threw my phone against the ceiling! Then there it was, my name on the board. I had a team, a home.

So now the next chapter in my career is starting. I will be on the Wild and hope to be able to do more good than bad for the team. 

Thanks to the Manager and staff at Saskatoon for taking the chance on me, I hope I dont let you down!