L'anfiteatro

GioSivo

CbY6k92.png

ROME PREPARING FOR "L'ANFITEATRO"

Even after 2000 years, this roman amphitheater is still standing and even hosting events. With the season reaching it's halfway mark, the Rome Gladiators are preparing for their annual outdoor event referred to as "l'anfiteatro", or "the amphitheater" in Italian. This old roman amphitheater lying along the outskirts of Rome will be transformed into a professional hockey venue with a capacity of about 7,000 people. The tradition started a few years ago, and seeing a huge reception, has stuck around to this day. 

"I'm incredibly excited," says Gladiators forward Francesco Mancini, "I came down from Milan to watch the first one and it was an incredible experience, now I actually get to play in it, its a wonderful feeling." Many of his teammates share similar views about the event. 

Critics of the event are concerned on how it's affecting the preservation of the structure due to the construction and deconstruction of the playing surface every year. The Italian government hasn't made its opinions clear about the event, but have not stopped the continuation of the event thus far. The cost for the event is estimated to be around $500,000 euros, to be compensated by ticket sales and sponsors of the event.