Sitting Down With Teammates

Ozzy Batty

Sitting Down with Teammates

(Saskatoon, Saskatchewan) The challenge of spending hours traveling from one end of the North American continent to the other is all of the time spent staring out windows. All of the players disappear into their own worlds and dissect the previous game, looking for where things went good and bad. Or looking ahead trying to prepare for what is going to come next. 

But on the long bus-ride from Halifax recently some of the players on the team shared some questions so they could get to know each other better. The questions covered a variety of topics and we are excited to share the answers we got.

Our first respondent is American defender Ben Lass and here is his responses

1. How did you join your current team?

Just scouted and drafted here. I didnt get scouted a ton as the vhlm is kinda I guess a crapshoot unless the person is an experienced user. 

2. What do you think about the season so far?

I think its improvement as far as last year. Sure I think the gm fumbled the 1st overall pick, but he did think the guy he picked could stay down. Oh well. Regardless Im happy as even though we have a good amount of losses. Just to be winning some at least is a blessing.
3. Do you think the team record is a true reflection of how the team should be doing?

Not at all, cause Ive looked at other squads and compared them. I think its the the sheer luck of getting active users. I think if we would of have had our 1st overall pick we’d be so much better right now!
4. How have you adjusted to being away from home and traveling so much for the VHLM games?

Well I knew coming into this teams were far and few were close for me. But i was ready to get my career started
5. If there is one thing about your player that you could change, what would it be and why?

I wouldnt changed much, I just want my plus/minus to be so much better
6. What comes next at the end of the season?

I would say still being in the M and hopefully being better as a team next year.
7. Do you want to move to the next level as soon as possible, or do you want to slow down and enjoy the moment?

I just want to enjoy the moment, just want to make sure Im the best I can be at each level. So no rush to move up
8. In 20 years, when you look back on your career, what would you want to see to say it was a success?

My plus/minus numbers and my blocked shots. Most importantly to cap it off with 1 cup would be awesome. But dont think Im getting stuck in the win mindset its hard to win.
9. What is something that would shock the VHL world to find out about you?

That my 1st players name was my actual name lmao

Our next victim...I mean...participant is Canadian Center Diego Machado.

1. How did you join your current team?
Joined the league late and saw this team needed another c so I sent the join request.
2. What do you think about the season so far?
Not the best for our team but we do have our bright moments 
3. Do you think the team record is a true reflection of how the team should be doing?
No I think we have a stronger team than our record says just unfortunate how we have played during the sims. 
4. How have you adjusted to being away from home and traveling so much for the VHLM games?
I have adjusted well due to travelling so much during my career as a child. 
5. If there is one thing about your player that you could change, what would it be and why?
Shooting the puck more my player has seemed to struggle to put the puck in the net since starting on the team and scoring some goals should help us win some games.
6. What comes next at the end of the season?
I have no idea for myself it is my first season here and not starting at the start of the season could see me return to the team or wherever I can get playing time. 
7. Do you want to move to the next level as soon as possible, or do you want to slow down and enjoy the moment?
I would like to enjoy the moment Im still learning the ins and outs of the league and feel I need more time to develop and understand the league 
8. In 20 years, when you look back on your career, what would you want to see to say it was a success?
I would like to be a multiple cup champ in the VHL.
9. What is something that would shock the VHL world to find out about you?
I am of Portuguese heritage but was born in Canada.

The opportunity to get to know my teammates will also afford us a chance to build stronger bonds. Hopefully that will translate into more wins on the ice!

Word Count: 882
Claimed Week Ending: 7 May 2023