A Path to the Pros - Raimo Tuominen

TAMPERE - Raimo Tuominen is preparing for the Victory Hockey League Minors dispersal draft. There were three choices laid before him in terms of his hockey career. He could pursue a National Hockey League career, stay in the Liiga, or try to join another top European league. Raimo wanted to play the best of the best, so the last two options were less desirable.

“They are wonderful leagues with great players,” Raimo said of Liiga and other European leagues. “But I want to give myself a path to play against the top players. Big boy hockey, as I have heard it called.”

It seemed he would attend the NHL combine and get his name in the heads of NHL scouts but one fishing trip with a few teammates introduced a new option.

“Sigard Petrenko was our first line right winger for Tappara. He came up to me after hearing the press conference where I announced it would be my last season with Tappara because I wanted to chase the top level. He reminded me about the VHL. I am ashamed I even forgot it. I used to cheer on the Titans all the time,” Raimo explained.

Now, with the help of Sigard, Raimo has been training. Sigard has been giving him tips and tricks of adjusting to the pace of the VHLM and VHL.

Sigard shared his thoughts on the VHL system. “I never played in the VHLE, so I can’t give him much advice there. But I spent a great year with the Houston Bulls and then another great year with Mississauga in the M. I also still vividly remember my time with the Seattle Bears. Can’t help but miss it but my time there came to an end. Glad they are still the upstanding organization I remember; I hope to get a job with them in the future.”

“Broke my heart to hear he was a Titans’ fan,” Sigard jokingly added. “I do believe Raimo has the skills to make it.”