Being Part of a Trophy Winning Team, for the First Time...

Ozzy Batty

I was not sure how the season was going to end. I had a couple of start and stop points for sure. I THOUGHT it was over at the end of the VHLM season when Saskatoon was sent packing before the play-offs even began.

But then I got the call about the World Junior Championship. I went back to Canada and waited to see what would happen. I was not even sure if I would be selected for a team. But the call came and I was joining the Royals. The season started great as we opened up with a 5-1 record. Then we went on a losing streak. But the team never stopped fighting. We made it into the playoffs! We watched the Wild Card games and rested up for the battle we knew would come next. We went against the Warriors. It went back and forth, we won, they won and we ended Game 6 tied. We knew it was a make or break game. The dreaded Game 7. We win and go on to the next round, we lose and go home. The qualifying rounds and the preceding games meant nothing now. We had to win....and we did not. So once again, I started to pack up to head back home. 

But then the phone rang again. I had been selected for the Commissioner's Cup. I was on Team Gustav. It was just a 3-game tournament. So we would have it finished in 3 days. At least if we went to 3 games. The first one, we lost. We scored 3...and gave up 5. But then the second game, we won in Overtime. So once again the dreaded final game. But this time, win and we have won the Cup. Lose and go home, well, losers. 

This time it paid off. The puck was on our side. We won! We had won the Commissioner's Cup!! I do not even remember the score. I just know that I did not have to go back to Ireland a 3-time loser. I know to many this Cup is not much, but to me it is my first. That means, no matter what, nothing else will be my first trophy. I do not remember helping the team much. I think I could have possibly been more of a hinderance than an asset on the ice. But who cares? I was part of a winning team!

Now...to head back home for a few days and wait for the VHLE draft...and to see what comes next. 

Word Count: 423

Week Claimed: 11 Jun 2023