Devon Giguere's Draft Day Experience

omniscius

It's a hot summer day and I'm dressed all formally for the big day. Today is the day I patiently await hoping a team selects me. I had given myself a great shot with my past season in Houston going fairly well, especially my performance in the playoffs (despite being swept). I thrive under pressure and based on my draft interviews I had a feeling I was going to be taken.

The first pick is announced and it's not me. I definitely did not think I'd be going first overall, so this wasn't a shock for me. Then, the first round had been completed without my name being announced. I had a feeling that was going to happen, I was really expecting myself to go second round. 

The second round is under way and name after name called and here I am still waiting to hear my own. I start sweating now and I can feel an existential dread creeping in. Had I just wasted years of my life just to fall short? Is my name ever going to be called.

It was then at the end of the 2nd round at 32nd overall that I was chosen by London United. I was pretty excited to go to a Canadian team, especially one not too far from home. I wish we had a Montréal team or any Québécois. 

Nevertheless, I hurried up on stage and was presented with the #35 jersey, an honour to my family's legacy. I shook my new GM's hand and before I knew it I was a professional hockey player. This is surely the beginning of a long but beautiful journey. I hope to use my time here in Houston wisely, so that by the time I'm called up, I'm VHL-ready. 

This has been the best day of my life and I'm so grateful to be spending this with my family and friends who have supported me through everything. I know without them, I wouldn't have made it as far as I have. I can't wait to step out on the ice for London United and in the meanwhile I'll keep grinding out here in Houston in the meanwhile.