Post-Draft Interview with 11th Overall VHL Pick - Keegan Gamble

Keegan Gamble

Interviewer: Welcome, Keegan Gamble! Congratulations on being drafted to both the Cologne Express and the D.C. Dragons in the VHLE and VHL, respectively. How does it feel to have two teams show interest in you and draft you in such prominent positions?

Keegan Gamble: Thank you! It's an incredible feeling to be drafted by not just one, but two teams in these prestigious leagues. It's a testament to the hard work and dedication I've put into my hockey career. I'm thrilled to have the opportunity to showcase my skills and contribute to both the Cologne Express and the D.C. Dragons.

That's fantastic, Keegan! Can you share a bit about your journey leading up to the draft? What have been some of the key moments or experiences that have shaped you as a player?

My journey has been an exciting one filled with challenges and growth. I started playing hockey at a young age and quickly fell in love with the sport. Over the years, I've played for various teams, both at the amateur and junior levels, which provided me with valuable experiences and helped me develop as a player. One key moment was when I joined a highly competitive VHLM team, the San Diego Marlins. The level of competition pushed me to work harder and improve my skills. Additionally, participating in tournaments and showcases allowed me to be scouted by scouts from different leagues, ultimately leading to my drafting.

It sounds like you've had a well-rounded development as a player. Now, with the Cologne Express and the D.C. Dragons, what are your expectations for the upcoming seasons? How do you see yourself fitting into the teams' strategies and contributing to their success?

I have high expectations for myself and the teams that have drafted me. Both the Cologne Express and the D.C. Dragons have demonstrated their belief in my abilities, and I aim to prove them right. I see myself as a versatile player who can contribute both offensively and defensively. For the Cologne Express, I want to bring my scoring ability and playmaking skills to help generate offense. I'll also focus on being responsible in my own zone and contribute to the team's defensive efforts. With the D.C. Dragons, I'll aim to be a dynamic forward who can create scoring opportunities and make an impact on special teams. I believe my speed and agility will fit well with their style of play. It will take me 1-2 seasons to make it onto the D.C Dragons but I believe when I finally make it up there, I will be able to impress them with my scouts and make them relieved they picked me in the draft so early. Overall, I want to be a dependable and productive player for both teams.

Both the VHLE and the VHL are highly competitive leagues. How do you plan to adapt your game to each league's style of play?

Adapting to different styles of play is crucial in professional hockey, and I'm prepared to make the necessary adjustments. I'll carefully study the systems and strategies used by both the Cologne Express and the D.C. Dragons, ensuring that I understand the expectations of my coaches. I'll work closely with the coaching staff and my teammates to integrate myself into the team's playing style and contribute in a way that aligns with their goals. Remaining open-minded, observant, and willing to learn will be key as I transition into each league.

It’ll be a tough challenge to switch over, but with the skills you bring to the table, I think you will transfer over smoothly.

Switching gears a bit, what do you think are your biggest strengths as a hockey player, and are there any specific areas you're looking to improve upon as you transition to the professional level?

I believe my biggest strengths as a player are my speed, agility, and offensive instincts. I have good vision on the ice and can anticipate plays well, allowing me to create scoring opportunities for myself and my teammates. I also take pride in my work ethic and commitment to continuous improvement. As I make the transition to the professional level, I'm looking to further enhance my defensive skills and become a more complete player. This includes improving my positioning, backchecking, and overall defensive awareness. Although I am planning on being more of a playmaker, I want to improve my scoring ability as well so that I can score goals when my team is in desperate need and show other teams that I am not just a playmaker but a clutch goal scorer when needed. I want to be reliable in all areas of the game and contribute to the team's success in any situation. I like to be very local in the locker room as well, I like to build relationships with my teammates and coaches. Chemistry is something that really help a team compete and I think building strong bonds and relationships with the guys on and off the ice.

It's great to see that you have a well-rounded approach to your development. Lastly, what are your long-term aspirations as a hockey player? Do you have any specific goals you hope to achieve in your career?

My long-term aspiration is to play at the highest level of professional hockey. I dream of competing in the VHL and representing D.C at that elite level. I understand that it will require a lot of hard work, dedication, and continued improvement. I also hope to represent my country on the international stage, potentially playing in tournaments like the World Championship. Ultimately, my goal is to have a successful and fulfilling career in hockey while leaving a positive impact on the teams I play for.

Those are admirable goals, Keegan. I have no doubt that with your talent and determination, you'll make significant strides towards achieving them. Thank you for taking the time to speak with us today, and best of luck in your future endeavors with the Cologne Express and the D.C. Dragons!

Thank you so much! I appreciate the opportunity to share my thoughts, and I'm excited for what the future holds. I'll do my best to make an impact and make both teams proud.

1054 Words - Using PT Weeks June 12-18 & June 19-25