A New Start - The AGM of Calgary

Ozzy Batty

Sometimes the best way to find what you are looking for is to stop looking. This can be said of many aspects of life, even when it comes to finding the right place to fit in as a part of the sim world. 

I had decided when I returned to the VHL that I would like to get involved in team management. I felt that by being a part of something in that way would increase the chances that I would stay with it long-term and not lose interest once my player got to a certain level. But I quickly found that it was not as easy as I thought it would be. I dont blame anyone for this or think it was anything bad, there are quite a few good candidates out there. But for whatever reason I just could not seem to get my foot in the door.

Luckily my General Manager in the VHLM told me he would like me to become his assistant, but he wanted to wait until the end of the season to do it. I thought that was kind of odd, but I agreed and stopped applying for other jobs. But then he slowly moved away from the league and before anyone was aware, he was gone. I went ahead and put my name out there for other AGM spots, even got some interviews, but could not seem to get the door to open. I decided to stop applying. I told some people of my decision and decided to just wait a season or two and try again.

Then I got the call, so to speak, from Calgary. The Calgary Wranglers from the VHL wanted me to become their Assistant General Manager. I will be honest, I was kind of shocked. The more I thought about it, the more humbled I became. I was going to be joining an organization with a rich history and be given the chance to learn how to be a General Manager from someone who definitely knows what they are doing.

Of course I said YES! So the door I was not even looking for opened and this part of my career in the VHL has began...and I cannot wait to see where it leads.

Word Count: 377

Claimed Week of: 25 Jun 2023

Edited by Otis Boudreaux Jr
Correction of info