What Simon Says!

JCarson

I have heard it said more than once that STHS has built in logic that keeps the goals for and against any team within a range of options. Meaning that no team should have significantly more goals for or against. Generally, this topic is noted when you have a bad team with one person having higher stats and seems to score proportionally more than a better player on a better team. The argument is that a mediocre player on a bad team can score more because the goals must go somewhere, the system will have a minimum scoring target for the team, while a talented player on a talented team can score less as STHS can spread the scoring around to multiple people. Having looked at multiple seasons I can see some logic in this. 

Yet how do we explain the differences in scoring this year? The top scoring teams are right now tied with 113 goas for. The Vancouver Wolves and the HC Davos Dynamo hold this honor. Each has played 33 games, so they have 3.4 goals per game pace. My team London has only scored 73 goals in 32 games or 2.3 goals per game. Okay I will say it before someone else does, potentially we should get good. That would be the simplistic answer. Yet we are also the reigning Continental Cup Champions, we repeatedly eliminated high scoring teams by grinding them down and beating them in low scoring games. Good is not only about scoring, just scoring more than your opponent. 

Right now, we are number 2 in the league for goals against. We have only let in 75 where most teams are sitting somewhere in the range of high 80’s with the worst team having 119 goals against. I would love to see us improve our goal scoring even slightly to 2.5 or 3 goals a game, if that happened, we would be unstoppable. Until then we see how far defense can take us.