Commissioner Fradin

Fradin99

The Goon Commissioner
Gone are the age of men. The time of Goon is now! 

On a serious note, there are moreso things I would like to add rather than subtract from the league. I will mainly be speaking, if not entirely speaking, about the VHLE as an E GM this is what I have the most experience with. I'd like to say the E is a fantastic intermediary league and with some additions and some attitude changes of it's biggest haters, we could see less people with slumps in their shoulders leaving the VHLM.

Awards! After weeks of sims and friendly competition with their fellow player, award season is the time of the year where everyone gets to put their friendly bets to rest at least for an offseason. Awards provide recognition and reinforce players who earn well and have a build that blends with their team. It gives more to look back on when finally retiring that player, and not to mention it provides more trivia for the pool of questions we all search the forum for every week. So what awards would the Goon add to the VHLE?

The Les Darcy Golden Gloves
The Maitland Wonder Bub

Les Darcy was an Australian boxer who held the Heavyweight belt while being a Middleweight. He was active from 1910-1916 and was promoted to legend status in the Australian Boxing hall of fame in 2009. The man won 52 of 56 fights with 32 by knockout. Holding two titles and even fighting Americans before his death at 21 years of age, the Boxer was renowned for his stamina and heart. Did I mention he was 5'6"? Now why Les Darcy and what is this award? Well it goes to the winner of the most fights in a VHLE season. Too often fights end in draws and I really want to show some love to those who take the effort to knock the other player down. A legend like Les Darcy is a perfect selection in my opinion, given his Australian roots and bouts across the globe. Is fighting something people even want to see in the VHLE? Maybe not. But I want to give Goons and Protectors their proper recognition for their team.

The Samwise Gamgee Lembas Bread
"That there's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo, and it's worth fighting for."

Samwise Gamgee was the BIGGEST reason Frodo actually got to Mordor to cast that ring into the fires. His willingness to stick out the toughest of times while still providing nothing but love and drive to the cause and to his friends, is why I choose him for this award. The Lembas Bread represents even in the chaos of the world around him, a player is still willing to help their teammate reach their destination. This award will be nominated by GM's and voted by GM's, AGM's, and Team Captains on the player most willing, able, and frequent to help the newer players get up to speed and be their best in the VHLE. It's not uncommon for me to see players get to the E and not fully understand how to efficiently max earn their TPE or even the best way to apply the way they want to build. We're a community first and I think this is type of leadership award would be a nice addition to a cabinet. 

The Scooby Snack

"Ruh-Roh-Raggy!"

The Scooby Snack is an award that goes to the best team mascot of the year voted on by players of the VHLE. It's just a fun award to promote actually having a Mascot and filling out the lore of the VHLE. It could even lead to more forum content! An example of this is something we have on Cologne. Henry, is our team dog owned by one of our players Keegan Gamble. Keegan posts daily pictures of said dog in a daily channel where we all praise this gift to humanity. Now does it add anything on the ice? No. But it does give another thing to the community of Cologne to talk about and drive morale. It's been a success for us and i'd like to see more teams integrate it into their locker rooms. Maybe it could even lead to some sick graphics!

After awards, there's one more thing i'd like to speak on. A change i'd like to make involving the draft order in the VHLE. Where I can understand the viewpoint of the regular season being a bigger sample size of a team than the playoffs, I would change the draft order to reflect the draft. Meaning the Cup winner being last, and the last seed taking the first over all. Doing it this way does not promote tanking any more or less than the previous way, but it does give teams who were maybe a star player away from a cup a little more chance to gain the edge the following season. It is not lost on me that the E is a volatile league where players can go IA just as easy as they leave within a season or two for the VHL. But this change is mostly just to have a higher chance of a different GM taking home the cup each season. 

The last thing I would like to implement is a ban on VHLE lifers. Unless I am mistaken, when the VHLM lifer ban was enacted there was no ban on the VHLE having such. The exception to this rule would be IA's. Now why are they different? Well IA players are often not maxed out at say 399 or up against the cap, the ones that are usually find themselves on VHL teams. And the ones who are IA do not have particularly strong builds like someone building out a lifer team would. Not to mention, once a season or two goes by and lifers flock to say one team in particular, that team could in turn use the IA claim rotation to fill up on IA's to launder them back out for draft picks, thus creating a chain of constant picks being stuck on one or two teams due to other teams needing players to fill a roster. 

This concludes the Goon's Commissioner changes to the VHLE. Unfortunately i've yet to have any VHL experience so I didn't feel comfortable giving out my thoughts on the league yet. But I do believe the addition of these awards and the changes to drafting and IA handling, would make for a more enjoyable VHLE experience for players coming up from the M.

1,099 words for 7/9/2023 and 7/16/2023