Houston Ties - Petrenko & Tuominen

TAMPERE - Sigard Petrenko has been playing with Tappara in the SM-Liiga after his time in the Victory Hockey League. Recently, one of his old teammates has joined the VHLM’s Houston Bulls. It was actually Sigard Petrenko who suggested to Houston right winger Raimo Tuominen to join the VHL system.

“I told him that he’d love it and that it would be a great opportunity for him. I was ecstatic when I heard that he was draft eligible. It was cool to see him take my advice. Raimo’s a real young fast guy; just lacks experience and needs to face the physicality of the highest level of hockey. It’s great to see that he’s in the VHLM now.”

Petrenko and Tuominen shared the ice together in Tampere; the former acting as a mentor to the latter. After sharing the ice in Finland, Raimo Tuominen gets to skate on the same home ice as Sigard Petrenko. It may be hard to remember since it was less than half a season but Sigard Petrenko’s very first VHLM team was the Houston Bulls.

“Yeah, I started off my VHL career as a Bull too. It’s a great place to play and the fans are awesome. Great organization and I’m sure they will help Raimo find the next level he needs for the VHL.”