Chris Sanzone: A Rising Star in the VHLM

handfullofbubba

The Mexico City Periódico caught up with Chris Sanzone and some staff following this morning's practice.

Chris Sanzone had a dream come true when he was drafted by the Mexico City Kings in the VHLM, a minor league of the VHL. Due to originally being a long shot prospect, he was drafted 50th overall in S88 and may possibly be the steal of the draft. The 21-year-old left winger from Western New York had always wanted to play hockey in Mexico, where his mothers cousin's ex-husband friend's dog sitter was born and where he spent two summers as a kid.

“I love the culture, the food, the people, and the hockey here,” Sanzone said. “It’s an honor to play for the Kings and represent Mexico City in this sport.”

Sanzone had a solid rookie season with the Kings, scoring 12 goals and 10 assists in 72 games. He also impressed with his physical play, blocking shots and delivering hits. After contributing 3 goals and 2 assists in the Kings playoff run, ending in a heart breaking game 7 overtime loss after a 3-0 series lead, he earned an invitation to the Junior Showcase Tournament. In this tournament he scored 2 goals and 3 assists in 11 games while his team won the tournament.

But in his sophomore season, Sanzone took his game to another level. After being voted team captain, he became one of the top wingers in the league. He currently has 17 goals and 28 assists for 45 points in 64 games. Over double his production from his freshman season. He also has shown his clutch ability as 7 of his 17 goals were game winners, which is among the league leaders. 

While it looks like the Kings will finish 3rd in the Eastern Conference, he's excited for a strong finish to the season. 

Sanzone’s general manager, samx, said he was amazed by his player’s improvement and potential.

“Chris is a phenomenal player and a phenomenal person,” an assistant coach said. “He works hard every day, he listens to feedback, he respects his teammates and opponents, and he plays with heart and skill. He has everything you want in a winger. He can score, he can defend, he can skate, he can hit. He’s a complete package.”

Sanzone said he was grateful for his general manager’s guidance and his team’s support.

“The coaching staff has taught me so much about the game and about life,” Sanzone said. “They are like father figures to me. And my teammates are like brothers to me. We have a great chemistry and we have fun together. We’re a family.”

Sanzone’s next goal is to make it to the VHL, the top league in the world. After being drafted 26th overall by the Prague Phantoms and signing a 3 year entry level contract, he said he hopes to continue his development as a player and as a person.

“I want to play in the VHL someday, that’s my dream,” Sanzone said. “But I also want to enjoy every moment I have in the VHLM. This league has given me so much, and I want to give back as much as I can. I want to make my family and my team proud.