McGryer Dons the A

Fradin99

The regular season has ended in the VHLE, and during the last few games the second overall pick Fradin McGryer surprised many fans in Geneva with a stitched A across his chest. The Massachusetts native had come to the team after just two games played for Vasteras, in what now looks like a completely one sided trade. McGryer flew from Sweden to Switzerland and immediately got to work. He was very highly spoken of by management, coaching, and especially his teammates. The young star finished the season top 10 in all categories among defensemen, and even lead his team in goals on the powerplay. The GM went out and got a big body defenseman who is very vocal about enjoying his physical play and he certainly delivered. 

McGryer finished the season with 64 points, 21 goals (13 on the powerplay), 229 hits, 170 blocked shots, and 118 PIMS. A note on this particular season for the defenseman is none of these PIMS went to fighting, something he made a habit of in his VHLM season. Now whether this is him maintaining his own temper, or the plethora of players on Geneva who love to throw their own knuckles around is undetermined. The right hand shot defender also spoke up about his season, the team, and his new letter in a press conference held at the end of the last game of the season. 

"...It's been wonderful to play here in Geneva. The Rush quickly made me feel welcome and I feel like I returned the favor by playing my game out there just as they expected me to. I'm not going to promise a sixty point season every year, but the physicality is almost exactly where I planned to have it. Some games were harder when the other team plans to steer away from you but that's the sort of thing numbers can't give the proper value on how much that helps the game for your team. I loved playing next to Big B, they've been an excellent partner out there on the blue line and their ability to help the forwards score is something that really compliments my less point driven style. I also really felt at home when they traded for Shubham Anand. I was drafted with him to both Vasteras and Calgary and it just felt right to play with him in front of me again. The A was a huge surprise, you know? I showed up to the locker room one day and it was there on my sweater. There wasn't really a conversation or presentation about it. I just sort of took it and continued my style on and off the ice like I did the rest of the year, and the year before in San Diego. I wouldn't call myself a vocal leader, but I seem to have a lead by presence sort of thing going that management likes. Hopefully I can help the guys get their wins in the post season. Thank you.."

Geneva is set to take on Cologne in the first round, the two teams were constantly fighting one another for that second place spot once it was clear Istanbul was pulling away with first. Among Cologne's players, a notable one to watch the interaction with is Keegan Gamble. Gamble, a winger turned center, is a former Marlin and very publicly a friend of Fradin's. The two often went out away from their teams to spend time together whenever they were set to play against each other. Will these Alternate Captains avoid each other on the ice? Or will the playoff tension bubble over and give us a show of fists on the ice? Only time will tell, and this, should be a fun series to follow. 

626 words for 7/23/23