RLV: LVA S89 Review

McLovin

image.jpeg.7001fef79dfc8d0d864d235f5ebc4844.jpeg

Live from Juan Ceson Arena, this is Radio Las Vegas, with your host, Marcus Svedberg, fanning the flames of your passion.

As the post season begins to wind down, and the draft approaching at rapid haste, the S89 Review for the Las Vegas Aces is next on our list of things to do before the draft. Overall, it's tough to rehash all that went wrong this season, so we'll be quick in it, and how management was able to turn what most would consider the lowest you can go (at least in the standings), into a promising future that Aces fans should be excited for.

At the beginning of the season, the Aces traded for Maxim Anisimov after Saskatoon drafted him 12th overall, only two picks before the Aces were meant to select him. This should've been the first sign, as the Aces had to give up significant pieces to acquire a player they would eventually end up trading away for significantly less only a month or so later. However, the Aces pushed on and began the season in a respectable position. Depth and special teams were the Achilles Heel of this seasons team, as on both fronts the Aces were outmatched and outgunned in every capacity. Nearing the trade deadline and the Aces were slipping further and further down the standings. With multiple players also being released or outright randomly retiring mid season, to put it nicely, it royally screwed the team and forced them to concede the season. Management made an executive decision days before the Trade Deadline to sell off assets to begin a rebuild with what they had left. With a few waiver players joining around this time as well, they didn't make too much of a difference as the Aces ended S89 in dead last, a point behind the very team that fleeced them in the S89 VHLM Draft. I guess karma has funny ways of showing itself in that regard at least. 

To put it mildly, however, this season was tough. On the fans, on management, on the players, everyone. With question marks top to bottom in every capacity you can imagine, who knows what the future holds? I'm optimistic however, as this upcoming draft looks promising in delivering a team that can start competing again for reigns of VHLM Founders Cup Champions once more. When that competitiveness happens however, only the future knows.

One would be forgiven for calling me crazy in believing the Aces have a good future ahead of them. Billie Holiday relates to that sentiment, with "Crazy He Calls Me," coming up next.