Teno v Summers Champion Comparison

Aimee

Once again, it seems that Lachlan Summers is destined to follow in Jesse Teno’s footsteps. From their first seasons in the VHLM to now, Summers and Teno have been sharing in the accolades. Both came in as fresh-faced goalies brand new to the VHL, each was the first of their draft class to be eligible to move up to the VHLE, both drafted high for the VHL, and now both have won a Continental Cup; and all this one season after the other. Is it possible that Summers could also follow Teno and win the Daisuke Kanou Trophy? Time will only tell. But for now, let’s compare how these two Continental Cup champion goalies stacked up against each other in their first winning post seasons. 

Win/Loss Ratio:

Teno         15-6-2  
Summers     12-4-0  

While Teno did have to play 7 more games than Summers, their win ratio was 65.21% compared to Summers’ 75%. Despite the difference in games played, Teno came close to doing just as well as their friend.

Save Percentage:

Teno        0.949
Summers    0.937

Both highly respectable numbers and at least 10 points over where both ended their regular season. It seems that both goalies were able to bring up their saves during the playoffs, showing just why they are both deserving of being starting goalies.

Goals Against Average:

Teno        1.92
Summers    2.47

Probably the most significant difference between the goalies lies in their goals against average. With more than 1 point spread between them, Teno very much took off with this statistic. Though Teno gave up 47 goals while Summers only gave up 40, one could argue that that was due to Teno facing almost 300 more shots than Summers. 

Shutouts:

Teno        4
Summers    0

One of the most coveted statistics of a goalie each season is their number of shutouts and there is no clearer spread than this. Teno had 3 during the regular season and Summers had 4, though it seems he struggled through the playoffs to keep the puck out of the net for any of the 12 games won.

While the two do play different games, it seems that these friends are more alike than people might realize. Sources told us that shortly after both wins, Teno and Summers had reached out to the other to congratulate them. They may be rivals on the ice, but they are certainly always rooting for one another.

When asked for a comment on the finals, Jesse Teno had this to say:

“I’m so proud of Lachlan. He has worked so hard to get to this point and I couldn’t be happier to see my friend raise the cup the way I did last season. We really did come up through this league together even though we’re a season apart and we have had each other’s backs since day 1. I honestly couldn’t have imagined we would both be champions this early in our careers but here we are. I’m truly happy for him and I’m honored to say that Lachlan is my friend. This couldn’t have happened to a more deserving guy.”

ice hockey friends GIF by NHL

514 words for week ending 8/6/2023

@kirbithan

another amazing write up about our goalers!! it’s always so much fun reading and seeing how lachlan and jesse stack up. amazing job as usual, my friend! long may we reign (over the vhl) 😉

Article review:

A great article discussing the shared experience between two friends and two excellent competitors.  These two will dominate this league for years to come.  Would love to see the comparison of these two careers over the next few seasons.  I expect that we will see many more awards given to each of them as they lead their teams to future glory.  Keep it up the fans of the league needs such talent to keep them excited.  Player rivalries are a great source of that.

I give this article a 9/10