More Adjustments - Raimo Tuominen

SlapshotWrangler

WHEREVER THE JST IS HOSTED - The Junior Showcase Tournament is a chance for VHL hopefuls to display what they have to offer to VHL teams. Raimo Tuominen had the honour of being chosen for Team Brigade. He has had slow production, which is a shame considering that he was probably expected to do more in the tournament. However, he is still playing his hardest and making small adjustments to his game as he goes along.

“I mean, I want to get better. Yeah, I’m here to showcase what I’ve got, which has proven to be very little so far,” he admitted with a sigh, “but I’m taking this opportunity playing against players my age to find my style. I’ve been trying to experiment with things. Stuff like changing the flex of my stick. I used to use a 75 flex but I feel like that it is getting too whippy for me now. I am trying out between 85 and 90. So far, I’m going towards 90; the stiffness has proven to be super helpful with my defensive play and helps with my puck control.”

Raimo Tuominen has also been working on his shot. It was advertised as one of his strong points, however, it seems to have been lacking this season and especially in this tournament. As of writing this, Raimo only has 2 goals in the entire tournament. Considering that before he joined the VHLM, scoring was considered one of his strengths, Raimo wants to return to his scoring ways.

“I’m getting shots off. I’m just not potting them. I probably had one of the worst shooting percentages in the VHLM. I need to be accurate with my shot as well as smart with my selection. I can’t get away with outspeeding and just blasting it here. I mean, I couldn’t do that all the time in Finland either but it seems to be even more true here.”