Drafted! - Raimo Tuominen

SlapshotWrangler

OSLO - After attending his first VHL training camp, Raimo Tuominen flew into Oslo with an eye toward the future. The Junior Showcase Tournament and the World Junior Championships proved to be great learning experiences for Raimo, despite the lack of production in each tourney. And shortly after both tournaments ended, the VHL and VHLE drafts happened. First was the Victory Hockey League draft.

“I didn’t show it but I was very anxious. I never had a specific team I wanted to join but I was really excited to be a part of a VHL franchise so I just hoped that I would figure out where I was going soon.”

At the time, Calgary had traded the 8th overall pick with a later pick for the 6th overall pick. The commentators at the time noted that Calgary seemed to want somebody specific. Admittedly, Raimo did not think that it was him.

“I had talked with them and expressed my interest in joining them. Calgary is a great franchise with a great history. The fans are amazing and management really sold me on their plan. It is a true honour to join them. But I had to admit, I was really surprised when they called my name. Surprised but overjoyed.”

Raimo would experience the same excitement on stage when the Oslo Storm would select him 4th overall in the VHLE draft.

“Then the Europe draft. I don’t think people understand what it means to me to return to Europe for one more season. I grew up in the Finnish system and to move back to a neighbouring country will be great for me. I fully intend on playing in Calgary for as long as they’ll have me, so nobody should take this as a sign that I would prefer to play on a European VHL team. Still, for one season, it’ll be nice to return closer to home.”