London Struggles with scoring, so what is with that?

JCarson

Defense is great but Scoring matters. 

May sound obvious, you can’t win if you don’t score. The very basis of any competitive game. Now don’t get me wrong, I still believe it is defense that wins championships. The ability to limit your opponents to a minimum of opportunities and then, even in those instances, take those away from them as well. 

Yet for some reason London United have struggled with this extremely basic tenant of the game. Some would come out and argue it is because they lack the talent to score. I don’t agree with that argument as you can look at other teams who have weaker forward cores and they are still scoring.  

So, what is it? What could it be? I don’t have an answer, but over the season I do plan to do some analysis to try and produce an answer, and hopefully a solution. I hope this will be a running series of analysis looking at what makes up the best scoring teams and what differentiates them from the worst scoring teams. 

The first part of the analysis will be creating a methodology, a framework to look at the problem and the potential solutions. It will encompass the basic assumptions and even a look at the random variables, or better described less understood variables that make up the system we work within. 

We will see what comes of this and hopefully finally we will have an answer to the questions of why London is struggling with scoring.