McGryer Post Toronto

Fradin99

Following tonight's game against the Toronto Legion, Rookie Alternate Captain Fradin McGryer of the Calgary Wranglers gave his thoughts on what it was like playing against his childhood icon, Ronan Lavelle. 

"Well. Awestruck is the biggest feeling I think I had at first. I mean, coming from Mass there's a big Irish presence there. And just growing up, watching him play and sort of modeling how I handle certain situations around him. It's obviously different, defender to winger. But a lot of that physical, hard nosed play is universal around the ice. I followed him since the start of his run in Geneva, and the guy just lit the lamp every year. I mean, who didn't love watching him? We played physical and obviously his team came out on top. I don't think him being on the other team affected my play any more than usual, despite my stints in the box. It was cool, the way he sort of joked about dropping gloves. A big respect thing, I obviously wasn't going to do it without a big enough reason. We exchanged a few hits, a joke or two between shifts. But it was very rewarding to work as hard as I did to get here, meet a hero of mine, and find he's just as good of a man as I hoped. And the way he continues to love the game? I still want to be just like that..."

240 words for 8/27