The Art of the Hit - Raimo Tuominen

SlapshotWrangler

OSLO - As someone who watches the game, I feel like as much fanfare as a big hit gets, it is still underrated. The art of the hit is a graceful yet destructive form that is as enthralling as it is disgusting (the latter really only applying to the most uninitiated of hockey watchers). A good hit is one where everybody in the arena feels it. The hitter feels the sensation of physically overcoming another skater. The one getting hit, or as I will call them, the ‘hittee’ feels the sheer power of the hitter taking them down. Meanwhile, the spectators which include other players, coaches, and the fans feel both the physical and mental aftershock of such powerful and willful destruction.

Raimo Tuominen started off as a fast winger in Finland who could overwhelm opponents with speed and finesse. But now that he is in the VHLE, his style of play has adapted as he is going against similarly instinctive players. Taking a more physical path, especially now that he has committed to being a center for the Calgary Wranglers, he has become more appreciative of the beauty of a hit.

“It takes a toll on your body but doing it in a way that benefits the team has definitely been a good asset. Of course, it can be very risky physically and tactically. The latter part is due to the positioning that may be lost. However, I have become more reliant on it and it has definitely been a growth point in my game.”

The art of hitting. Raimo is looking to learn it.