CGY the knight in the shining armour

Daniel Janser

Callum was on his way back home from practice. The heavens have opened and it rained, fit to float an ark. When he drove through the forest leading to his adobe, he noticed a stalled car in the dark. He pulled over in order to check on the driver. He knocked on the driver side window and an elderly lady rolled it down. 

'Ma'am, are you okay?'

'Yes, dear. I just have a flat tire and unfortunately my cell phone has run out of batteries. Would you lend me yours so I can call the towing company?'

'Ma'am, if you have a spare tire, I can change it for you.'

'In that pouring rain? I could possibly not accept such a favour from you.'

'I insist ma'am. It is my pleasure to help you out. Just stay put while I jack up your car. I just go fetch my headlamp, as it is rather dark.'

So Callum jacked up the car, removed the flat tire and put the spare one on, all the while merrily chatting with the lady. 

She then asked: 'Son, how can you be so happy while changing some stranger's tire in this deluge?'

'Why ma'am would the weather change if I was grumpy and miserable?'

The lady smiled and said: 'No. No it would not.'

'So what purpose would it serve then to be sad about something I cannot change? My Dad always told me to accept what I cannot change, and to change what I can to the better. So by replacing your tire, I change something for the better. And the work goes smoother with a smile on my lips.'

'Your father raised you well and he must be proud of you.'

'I will let him know next time I speak to him. So you are set to go. May I suggest to go to the next gas station and replace the tire with a new one? It looked a little old and worse for wear when I put it on, but it should take you safely into town. God speed.'

'But I do not even know your name and I wanted to make it up to you.'

'There is no need ma'am. But if you want to do something in my stead, please offer whatever help you can to others in need. That is reward enough for me, if any was needed. I will drive behind you now, to make sure you get safely into town.'

Later, when he drove back to his lodgings, he was already planning what needs to be done on the taxidermist's house next.