As we approach the end of season 90

JCarson

Does it really matter? 

We are down to the last handful of games in the season. Depending on who you are, at the point I write this teams have either seven or eight games left. However, looking at the standings it doesn’t look like those seven to eight games will make a difference in who makes the playoffs. Okay, so someone will point out that it makes a difference in determining third and fourth in each conference, and I will give you that. 

In the North American Conference, it is a tight race with both Las Angeles and Vancouver sitting at 86 points with both having eight games left. It will be a fight for sure. But they will both play post season hockey, they will both be fighting for the Continental Cup, nothing can take that away from them in the next eight games. 

In the European conference it is much the same, short of a highly improbable collapse of either Riga or London and a near perfect trajectory of Malmo the conference is set. Riga and London will continue to battle for third and fourth position currently divided by one point. Helsinki stands to take fifth and the first and second position have been pretty much guaranteed since the first week of sims. 

With very little to change in the playoff forecast I would have to argue it doesn’t really matter. We have our playoff contenders; what we must do now is sort out third and fourth and then get on with the playoffs. 

To those who have been eliminated I am sorry this can be a very boring time of year, to those who have made the cut, good luck.