Vincent Laroche-Gagnier -Career Reflection:

vincentlg2007

Capturedecran2023-10-02a15_38_48.png.97a05e3ca7335829ef89dcdb7cab5d29.png

Even though times change and the stories are left behind, i'm pretty sure everyone who will read this knows about VLG + San Diego all too well. So let's start at the most decisive point of my VHL career: the VHL draft. 4 teams reached out to me for an interview. Ironically enough, all of which were in the S90 VLG trade sweeptakes. Including the DC Dragons who we'll talk about later. The most important interview was obviously the one with Calgary. Those gm's might recall that I said that I had no preferences.  While I didn't have any preferences at first, looking at the roster I saw Leandro Goncalves who was my gm ( as agm), Landon Wolanin who was also my gm ( as player), Daniel Janser who I saw leading the points leaderboard and finally Ricer someone that I hadn't really interacted with at the time but saw interacting around many VHL discords it's safe to say that when I received that interview... I now had a preference.

While VLG only had 3 seasons and only 1 impactful season in Calgary, I think it's safe to say the link between the Wranglers and him was and still is much stronger then that. A good story for sure, not the most elegant one or anything but a special one. VLG also loved the fans and even tho the story didn't follow the path many thought it would take i'd like to go back to the draft interview. The most important question there was " What long term goals do you have for your player". I saw that as a promise, what do I promise to offer the wranglers fan? I replied that I wished to be a 30 goal scorer minimum. Which means I completed my promise to Calgary.

I've had many big moments in the VHL: S87 continental cup, S89 breakout season, 100 points in S90, being named captain of the dragons and the many VLG'ed. But when you look at VLG himself, there's one that stands out as the most surprising. The trade to the dragons. I'd say that the general knowledge was that people knew the Wranglers were in rebuild and expected the likes of Landon Wolanin, Leandro Goncalves, AirRig GoodBrandSun to be traded and for VLG to stay and lead the charge. However, it's not what happened. Did I ask for a trade ? No obviously not. Did I know I was getting traded? Yes, me and Ricer had some discussions about the potential locations and while I wasn't on the trade block theorically, we both agreed that I had a massive value and that the return for me, a single player could possibly gain them multiple big assets that in the grand scheme of things will end up being more important to the future. So there were 7 teams in the sweeptake if i'm not mistaken. Ultimately, both me and Ricer agreed on that DC offer and I was off to a promising team.

So DC, their trio of acquisition have really shined and in no world did I expect to hit 100 points this season. I also had the massive privilege to wear a C on my shirt. The season started massive but ultimately had a significant step-back at the end of the season. Overall, a big success I'd say. 

I'm focused on bringing some silverware to Washington and i'm hopeful i'll be able to. Another 100 points might be inimaginable but I really wish. I haven't won any individual awards and i'm not gonna lie it's something I want. Once my contract expires after S92, I honestly don't know where i'll play. There's options there and there but it's in a long time and my focus is on DC right now.
Spoiler

625 words