Saddledome Dining - Raimo Tuominen

SlapshotWrangler

CALGARY - Back in the day, there was a very unsettling sight that soon became rather normal for Wranglers fans. The Scotiabank Saddledome is an iconic rink that is the second home of the Calgary Flames, and the home of the Hitmen, Roughnecks and both the AHL Wranglers and VHL Wranglers. Jacques Lafontaine, former Wranglers goalie, started to have a tradition in which he’d make his way up to the top of the Saddledome roof (much to the dismay of security, though eventually they gave up and let him have his way) and eat a pre-game meal.

“It’s a good spot. I always wanted to try rooftop dining but I sorta also wanted to be alone. I saw a picture of the ‘Dome and thought it would be funny if I actually sat on it like a saddle. I usually have a salad.”

Someone else has begun using this tradition. Initially terrified with his first experience with it, Raimo has grown accustomed to the winds on top of the Saddledome and has grown quite comfortable.

“Well, the Saddledome roof has it’s raised portions so it’s very nice when the wind is blowing into them. It’s a bit of a pain when it isn’t but it is what it is. Besides, I was only scared the first time because I had to go on a helicopter with a rope ladder hanging out.”