Iron Eagles making early strides

scotty

Iron eagles making early strides

VASTERAS, SWE. -- Sitting in fourth position may not be optimal for most franchises, but for the Vasteras Iron Eagles, they'll take it. The rebuilding franchise came into the season with low expectations but through 13 games, they're only sitting two points out of what has turned out to be a surprisingly competitive European Conference.

The upstart Iron Eagles have been propelled by the offensive contributions from veteran forward Guido Schwarz and defenseman Mattis Trumbauer.

With 20 points in only 13 games, Schwarz has been one of the most productive forwards in the VHL. His team leading 11 goals are also tied for 5th in the league.

"It's been a really great start for me on a personal level thus far," Schwarz said. "Being one of the vets here, there's a lot on my shoulders in terms of a need to produce and I've been fortunate to find some success here in the early going."

While the start has been encouraging, there are still 59 more games that will determine the fate of the Iron Eagles in S35.