There Was No Fight Between Raimo and Larry - (it was your imagination)

CALGARY - Raimo Tuominen has never been one to fight much. Especially not in the VHL. As one of the younger players (who is entering his middle seasons in the VHL), he has learned to keep his head down and work hard. Dropping the gloves is only done when necessary. And it proved to be necessary against the Wolves. Larry Abass Jr and Raimo Tuominen ended up having a tilt in a game where the Wranglers faced off against the Wolves. The veteran and the young kid had a very spirited brawl and fought to essentially a draw before Raimo got an unsportsmanlike penalty and then got ejected.

After the game, Raimo had a few comments. “We just had to fight and we both dropped the gloves. Felt a bit intimidating fighting against an established vet like Larry. No hard feelings. I just hope that we don’t end up starting it up again.”

Well, that won’t be an issue for Raimo as it turns out, the Wranglers would trade for Larry soon after. Like really soon after. You could count the days on one hand. Raimo would be meeting the winger in the locker room.

“Our general manager announced after practice that he had made a trade. We figured out who we were getting back and I laughed so hard. I thought he was kidding. Nope. Jens Lekman and Larry Abass Jr himself.” Raimo Tuominen recalls with a slight grin.

“Best part was when I saw him at practice when he finally got to Calgary and he ended up being one of the coolest guys I’ve ever met. To think just days before that we were swinging at each other and now he’s one of my biggest mentors alongside Randy. Go figure.”