Maple's Unfortunate Sauna Snafu

dogwoodmaple

It was quite the eventful evening for Maple Dogwood and the Halifax 21st, full of highs and lows.  The highest high was their Game 5 victory over Philadelphia, which clinched the quarterfinal series and advanced them in the postseason.  The lowest low was the disaster that befell the Halifax home arena just a few hours after their victory. 

"So we win Game 5, which was awesome.  The home crowd really carried us through a hard fought game and we were just thrilled with the outcome.  But our coach always tells us to not linger on a victory too long because there's still work to be done. So we celebrated for a bit but I knew we needed to improve our play if we wanted to keep winning in the postseason, so I immediately got some rehab work in.  Did some stretching, some cold tub dips, and finally I headed over to the sauna like I do after every practice.  But I noticed the sauna wasn't hot at all. It just felt like a normal setting, which was really weird, so I found the control panel and jacked that thing up. The screen displaying the numbers was all cloudy so I couldn't really see what it was reading, but I just cranked it up as high as it would go.  It definitely started to feel a little warmer, so I just figured I was still amped up from the game and running hot," Dogwood said.

It turns out that the star forward for Halifax was so exhausted after Game 5 that he actually fell asleep in the sauna.  Now, I know what you're thinking - he'll get heat stroke! He'll need medical attention!  Well that's not where this story is going.  After a 45 minute inadvertent nap, Dogwood awoke and noticed his feet were wet.

"I looked down and saw that my feet were in a puddle of water, which is weird because this sauna has never had any issues with leaks or anything.  But I realized it wasn't just a little puddle - it was a lot of standing water. I immediately opened the door and raced out and stepped into ankle deep water in the entire locker room. What's worse, I went out to the arena itself and could not believe my eyes," Dogwood explained.

It turns out that the control panel the rookie forward turned the temperature up on wasn't the sauna - it was for the heating and cooling element that controls the ice temperature.  In the time he fell asleep, the entire rink had melted into a giant swimming pool.

"Apparently I was the only person in the building, which is why nobody stopped it. I guess that's a lesson to my teammates that they shouldn't have been out celebrating, they should've been working or rehabbing like I was.  When you think about it, this is really their fault as much as anyone," Dogwood told the media.

To make matters worse for Halifax, they have a home game in the Semifinals scheduled for just a few days away and they're frantically trying to either flash freeze the rink or find a new arena to play in until the problem gets fixed.  

When the Halifax head coach was asked for a comment, he only said that Dogwood better score the game-winning goal to win the title this year with all the trouble he's caused off the ice.

Review: Dogwood partying and celebrating Halifax win is awesome! As such a popular star Dogwood decided to take a break from the masses and take a personal break. Too bad he wasn't a "team player" and have others join in on the warm sauna like they do in Finland as it would have helped prevent the snafu. What is sad is he putting the blame on his teammates who wanted to give the fans all the love for their support throughout the season. Dogwood better shape up or else he may be the Spencer Rattler of the VHLM and have scouts and GMs alike drop his draft stop due to the perception he may not be a team player!

I love the article and hope you keep doing this to add more backstory to Halifax!

2 minutes ago, dylanjj37 said:

thanks lucy! but what do you mean repairs????

Well, you see, it was kind of an accidental pond.  Repairs will be needed to make it more permanent while also making sure we have a viable ice surface.  Don't worry, Dogwood's paying for it 😜

5 minutes ago, LucyXpher said:

Well, you see, it was kind of an accidental pond.  Repairs will be needed to make it more permanent while also making sure we have a viable ice surface.  Don't worry, Dogwood's paying for it 😜

where will the pond be?

1 minute ago, dylanjj37 said:

where will the pond be?

In the tunnel leading to the rink as you requested

2 minutes ago, dylanjj37 said:

thanks, can we get one from the away teams locker room too but with sharks in?

I'll check with our lawyers, but I think we can get it done

they are too busy sorting out @dogwoodmaple to worry about what the rest of us are doing. it will be fine!

Okay, let's do it.  You know me, I love sharks!

8 minutes ago, LucyXpher said:

Okay, let's do it.  You know me, I love sharks!

which sharks do you want to put in? obviously sj sharkie but id like to put a vote in for filip zadina too.

6 minutes ago, dylanjj37 said:

which sharks do you want to put in? obviously sj sharkie but id like to put a vote in for filip zadina too.

Yeah, that sounds good.  We can also throw in Vlasic and Hoffman for good measure... let's just say they're expendable.

2 minutes ago, LucyXpher said:

Yeah, that sounds good.  We can also throw in Vlasic and Hoffman for good measure... let's just say they're expendable.

expendable???? i thought we were putting in the best of the best!

expendable???? i thought we were putting in the best of the best!

Oh, well in that case let's get Eklund in there! And then maybe we just chum the water with Pickles