Ozzy B and the Mississauga Hounds

Ozzy Batty

There have been 26 games played so far in the VHLM and the Mississauga Hounds are holding onto 3rd place in the Eastern Conference by the slimmest of margins. A mere 3 points separates them from the Philadelphia Reapers and Ottawa Lynx, who are tied on points with 15. A slip-up by the Hounds could see them easily fall out of the playoff spots

While everyone knows that hockey is a team sport, the Hounds have 1 player who is starting to catch the eye of reports and scouts alike. The youngster from Bath, England, Ozzy Batty, is slowing working his way up the leader boards as he continues to display his ability to see the openings before his teammate’s arrive and to perfectly place his passes to allow them to score those vital goals.

Ozzy currently has 44 points, with 16 goals, which puts him 2nd on the team goals list, and 28 assists. His point total has him 5th on the overall list and 4th on the assists list. Many thought that Ozzy would be looking to score first as he had spent countless hours skating around the ice and making shots from every angle. But over the last few games, Ozzy has seemed to develop the uncanny ability to pass his teammates open, therefore allowing them to take advantage of their superior positioning and score.

The Assistant General manager for the Hounds was overhead telling Ozzy after a recent practice, “You're killing it so far! Nice job!” Ozzy turned his head and with a small smile said thanks and headed to the bus.
The combination of Ozzy’s hard work and the guidance of the Hounds management seem to be setting the foundation for a long and successful career for the youngster. When Ozzy was asked about his future, he had this to say…”Life is now, not in the future. Yea, I want to be the best, but I want that for my team, not just me. So we only deal with the game that is tomorrow, work as hard as we can and let the future sort itself out.”

So, the Mississauga Hounds have a youngster that seems to be more interested in being a part of a successful team rather than gaining personal accolades. But is that enough? Ozzy seems to think so as he lists off the teammates that he openly admits he thinks are better players than him… Winger Clapbomb Bardownski who has 22 assists; Winger Cody Cobberson with 14 goals and 11 assists; Defender Connor McHuey who has 7 goals and 9 assists as well as his 45 blocked shots; Winger Konstyantyn Shevchenko with 18 goals and 17 assists as well as Winger Anthony Simmons II who has 8 goals and 13 assists. Ozzy also said that no team could be complete without a solid goalie, and the Hounds have Otto Wolff and newly signed Lane Ellis.

The Hounds have a good core of players but the lack of depth is obvious and the team is going to have to continue to improve to help to help increase their chances of making those much sought-after playoffs.
But Ozzy is right, no one can say for sure what the future is, but from our perspective, it looks pretty bright for the Center from Bath and his teammates on the Mississauga Hounds.

Word Count: 557

Aye, just keep grinding it out! I love to see the optimism of one of my fellow countrymen 💪 

The race is on 🏁 

Edited by diacope