Brandon Petan Jr on the JST

sadie

It didn’t take long for Sadie St-Louis to find something new after retiring officially from the VHL this year- she is now interviewing for the DBC. Sources familiar with 2014’s alleged potassium incident say she’ll be back on the ice for the Pro-Am Tournament with some old friends and it is also reported that she doesn’t see her international career as over. Should she get the call, we may see her lace them up for Team Canada one more time. Today she’s here in the studio with Brandon Petan Jr, perhaps the most highly touted prospect in the upcoming VHLM Dispersal Draft following his performances at the ongoing Junior Showcase Tournament.

Sadie St-Louis: Hi Brandon- it’s nice to finally meet you! It’s been amazing watching you and the Yukon Rush go to work in the first half of your schedule- what do you think has been the key to that success?

Brandon Petan Jr: Nice to meet you too! Yeah, I think the biggest positive so far has just been how deep we are compared to other teams- it’s incredible having so many great options to go to and it always feels like you have a good matchup on the other team no matter who is on the ice.

SSL: More personally, you are this tournaments top scorer so far with an incredible 21 points, and lead in numerous other categories. What have you felt has been the greatest contributor to that?

BPJ: It honestly feels like an All Star team, playing with Yukon. Having almost all my Lynx teammates here is amazing feeling- there is already a great connection between us and adding in so many other skilled players has only helped me. So yeah, I’d have to say its the teammates I have that have really helped me get to that top level.

SSL: How do you see next season going, then? With a potentially whole new group of teammates, what do you know you can bring to the table next year? 

BPJ: I really think the physical side of my game has come along lately- not really throwing hits as much as just going for those 50/50 pucks and winning them a lot more often. I think I can also bring one of the best shots in the league, and I’m excited to find out where I’ll end up in S95!

SSL: Before we let you go, let’s talk Pro-Am. You’ll be on the ice with VHL players for the first of many times in your career. What’s going through your mind leading up to it?

BPJ: I couldn’t be more excited for the Pro-Am! It’s cliche but it’s basically living out your childhood dream to be on the ice with all these legends. I think it’ll end up being one of the most special experiences in my life so I’ll just try to enjoy it as much as I can.

SSL: I was feeling the exact same way during my first Pro-Am tournament! It really never gets old. One last question Brandon- who has the edge when our teams go against each other next week?

BPJ: Obviously Richmond, haha.

SSL: You wish! Flora Vista has it in the bag. Looking forward to it and excited to be on the ice together Brandon! Until then, keep tearing it up in the JST!