Halifax 21st SuperSailor #16 (S95 Week 1): Mathias Gunnarsson

yMtBs7r.png

After a Prime Minister's Cup winning Season 94, the Halifax 21st lost all but one player from their active roster to the VHLE as players aged out of the VHLM and moved on with their careers.  It's a bitter sweet feeling to see such an incredible team dissolve before your eyes-- not only because they were fantastic players, but first and foremost because it was such an amazing group of people!  On a personal level (and this isn't usually where I would include this kind of sentiment) it's been a bit tough for me watching that team be dismantled so quickly and it's one of the challenges of being a VHLM GM.  Competitive windows are narrow and you only have a couple short seasons at most before new friends and teammates move on.  It doesn't get any easier when you fall just short of your collective goal of a league title.  C'est la vie, I guess...

There is on one player, however, from the S94 Halifax roster that has returned and that is Mathias Gunnarsson @ThatCanadian who has been absolutely amazing for the 21st to start the season.  As a defenseman, Gunnarsson currently leads the team in scoring with 2 goals and 15 assists for 17 points in 14 games so far.  Building upon a great S94, Gunnarsson has found another level so far in S95 and has become the de facto leader of this new-look 21st roster.  With his great performance in week one of the season, I'm proud to announce Gunnarsson as our SuperSailor, though it's not only his performance in the sims that stands out.  Since joining the team, Gunnarsson has been very reliable and consistent, earning points to build his player week in and week out.  This example of consistency goes a long way and is one of the most important contributors to success over a long VHL career.  It's easy to max earn for a few weeks-- heck, even a few seasons-- but to keep up consistent earning at any rate will really take a player far and there are many great examples of that across the league.  Gunnarsson's consistency will make him a very valuable player wherever he ends up in the future and he's the centerpiece of this current construction of the Halifax 21st as the team's top skater with 194 TPE.  

Congratulations to Mathias Gunnarsson on being our 16th SuperSailor and on an excellent start to S95! 

Honorable mention: Samuel Wazinski @samthemancub returned to Halifax after a season and a half away and has been stellar between the pipes for the team.  As one of the top goalies in the league so far this season, he's been a big reason why Halifax has a winning record of 8-6 and a positive goal differential of +2 with the 2nd fewest goals against in the league so far!

Edited by LucyXpher