The best defensive teams part 1 - VHLM

VattghernCZ

Since my player is a defensive defenseman, naturally I'm more interested in the defensive side of the game now. They say defense wins the championship, right? I hope so, I don't want another notoriously incompetent player in my hands.

For this week's and next week's articles, I'm going to look at team defense on every level - at how the teams simulate defensively, rather than at individual players - and highlight the best defensive teams.

:mex: VHLM: Mexico City Kings :mex:

Defensemen: Alagsantere Groenvold (30.3 AMG), Ronan Amnon (29.7 AMG), Carl Erhardt (28.5 AMG)

Starting goaltender: Chazz Michael Michaels

Look at any defensive metric and see Mexico being up there. Goals Against and Penalty Kill are the basic defensive stats you can see in the standings, and Mexico ranks second in both. Second to Las Vegas in both scenarios. So why am I ranking MEX above LVA? Because the Kings dominate the Aces and the rest of the league in underlying numbers. Shots Against? Mexico is 1st, Vegas is 2nd. That's close. But the most important job of defense is to keep the puck away from the net, and the Kings lead the league with the least Puck Time In Defensive Zone, while the Aces rank 4th. This leads me to believe Mexico plays stronger defense, but Las Vegas boasts a better simulating goaltender.

Part 2, VHLE and VHL: https://vhlforum.com/topic/151225-the-best-defensive-teams-part-2-vhle-and-vhl/

Edited by VattghernCZ