The best defensive teams part 2 - VHLE and VHL

VattghernCZ

Part 1, Intro and VHLM: https://vhlforum.com/topic/151224-the-best-defensive-teams-part-1-vhlm/

:col: VHLE: Cologne Express :col:

Defensemen: Joseph Dubois (29.0 AMG), Cody Toland (27.0 AMG), Scrungle Bungle (26.8 AMG), Pan Daffleck (18.7 AMG), Bric Sheithaus (16.9 AMG)

Starting goaltender: Jon Webber III

While you could argue for a tie in the M, it's not the case here. Cologne is just dominant defensively, leading the league in fewest Goals Against, fewest Shots Against and the least Puck Time In Defensive Zone. The only flaw in their defensive game is their Penalty Kill. But when the weakest part of an area of the game still ranks 3rd best in the league, you're doing something right.

:mos: VHL: Moscow Menace :mos:

Defensemen: Nils Andersson (30.3 AMG), Obuz Schneider Canet du Bocage (29.5 AMG), Jillian Woods (28.9 AMG), Benjamin Abenduct (28.7 AMG)

Starting goaltender: Olober Syko

Before digging in, I expected a bit more parity in the top league. I was surprised to see Moscow defensively dominating the VHL even more than Cologne dominates the E. Ranking 2nd in Goals Against, 1st in Penalty Kill, 1st in Shots Against and 1st in Puck Time In Defensive Zone clearly shows they're a nightmare to play against. But the fact they're not 1st in Goals Against surprises me, I guess it's possible to get in their goalie’s head once you cut through their defense (good luck with that!).

Mexico City is sitting at 4th overall spot in the VHLM, 12 points behind Mississauga and 1 point ahead of Miami. Cologne and Moscow lead their respective leagues, the Express with a 4 point lead on Bratislava and Moscow in a tie with Riga, 3 points ahead of Malmö.

So does defense win the championship? Moscow is just dominant, leading their league in Goals For on top of their elite defense, so a better way to test this claim is to follow Mexico City and Cologne this postseason, as both are below average offensive teams relying heavily on their defense.

Edited by VattghernCZ