An Unexpected Visitor

OblivionWalker

"Slava!"

Puzzled at who could be calling out to him across the ice, Slava Kovalenko halted his forward momentum on his skates with a shower of ice and half turned. There, standing at the door to the ice . . . was his older brother, Sergiy. Being the oldest of the Kovalenko children and a pilot, Sergiy was often away and tended to miss family gatherings sometimes.

"What are you doing here?!" Slava demanded, flying down the ice to step off the ice and wind his arms around his brother, pulling him into a close and tight hug. From the time they had been small, Sergiy had often said Slava was his little shadow. When Slava had been all of three years old, some older boys in the neighborhood had been picking on Sergiy and little Slava had immediately marched over, taking off his jacket so it didn't get dirty in order to help defend his brother. Fortunately, the adults were alerted that something was happening, and the would-be combatants were separated but it had become a story the Kovalenkos often told. If Sergiy was in trouble, Slava would soon be there.

But as they had grown up, they had gone their own ways. Sergiy had graduated from college and then gone on to get his pilot's license and of course, Slava had gone to Alaska for college and was now in the VHLM with the aim of moving up to the big leagues someday. They often went for long stretches without being able to see each other and Slava was absolutely delighted to see his brother.

"There was a cargo run scheduled in the area and when Mom and Dad told me that you were playing here today, I knew I had to come and see you play for myself. I was able to ask to be assigned this run." Sergiy said, giving Slava a bright smile.

A lump formed in Slava's throat. Sergiy didn't have to do that, but it meant a lot to him that his brother cared enough to rearrange his own schedule to be able to come and see a Hounds game.

"I'm glad you're here." Slava said honestly, clapping his brother on the back when he finally released him. "It's been too long."

"It has." Sergiy agreed, tilting his head slightly. As tall as Sergiy was himself at six foot two, he still had to look up at his younger brother. "All of us are dashing here and there. But all of us are proud of you, Slava. Especially Dido and Baba. Everyone in the neighborhood has been following you. You've been doing so well but knowing you, you're already looking ahead."

That was an astute observation. As well as Slava had been doing already in the M, emerging as the leader in defenseman points fairly early on and remaining there, he was always considering what he could do better when he moved up to the E, what things he wanted to work on and improve.

"I won't get to the VHL if I sit on my butt." Slava joked lightly, which drew a snort from Sergiy.

"The only time you sit on your butt is if you're on a bus, a plane, or you have a good book." he said knowingly and Slava shoved his arm, knowing darn well that Sergiy was correct in that assessment.

With a rather wicked smirk, Sergiy arched an eyebrow. "Now. How's this boyfriend of yours?"

(word count: 575)

Edited by OblivionWalker