Goodbye Europe - A Former VHLE Player's Comments

Subject056

Slater was in practice with her VHL team when she received the news that the VHLE was being disbanded. Currently a forward for the Vancouver Wolves in the VHL and previously a defenseman for the Oslo Storm in the VHLE, Slater played in the E for season 88. A season where the team won the Renaissance Cup. This would be Slater's only season and cup in the E but a memorable one for sure. After playing with the Houston Bulls in the VHLM, Slater was excited to play a season in the VHLE overseas where she was drafted to Oslo Storm in Norway. Slater had looked forward to playing for a team that had great leadership and a solid roster of players. It didn't hurt as well that the team was in Norway, a place the avid traveler had always wanted to visit and now has the opportunity to live and work in. During her season in the E she was able to continue to hone in on her defenseman skills which would help propel her into the VHL. 

When asked if she had any thoughts on the VHLE being disbanded, Slater had the following comments:

“It is sad to see the league being disbanded. There are a lot of great players in the league and luckily they will be shifted back to VHLM teams or forward into the VHL. The fan base for the VHLE pool was fairly small and decreasing with time so it doesn't really surprise me that this happened. I had some great memories, including a cup win and experiences from my time in the E. I'm glad I got to be part of it. Be part of its history. It sounded like a change was needed and this was the best action.” 

While the VHLE no longer exists we can all still enjoy the game we love through the VHLM and the VHL. 

Word Count: 320