DBC Presents: Catching The Summers Waves

kirbithan

S49eCMd.jpg

DBC Anchor: Good evening, folks, and welcome to tonight’s VHL coverage, presented by the Dimmensia Broadcasting Corporation. Tonight, we have an exclusive interview as we hand things over to our Swiss branch, where Julian Meier has sat down with HC Davos Dynamo and Warsaw Predators great Lachlan Summers. Take it away, Julian! 

Julian Meier: Lachlan, it is so nice to have you here in the studio today! Tell me, how has the retiree life been treating you?

Lachlan Summers: Well, first of all, you’re making me feel old as hell, but it’s been. . . different— nice. Not waking up at the crack of dawn for practice or a travel day has been a little strange, but I’m settling into things. My husband and I are actually expecting our first child in a few months through a surrogate, so I reckon there was no better time than now to get this news out there. 

JM: Congratulations! That is so wonderful to hear! Will the little one be following in your footsteps and going for the skates and puck as soon as they can?

LS: We’ll definitely teach them the basics, get them into a peewee program, but whatever they want to do when they grow up, Frankie and I will support them. I know how draining being an athlete can be and I wouldn’t want to force that on my kid if that’s something they decide doesn’t interest them. 

JM: You heard it here first, everybody. Now, there have been rumors that you’ve been in and out of the Davos facilities this offseason— is that true?

LS: You caught me. Nothing gets past the DBC, eh? But yeah, I’ve been trying to ease my way back into hockey since I realized I can’t live without it. Wanted to try my hand at some sort of coaching position, and if all goes well, I’ll be behind the bench next season for Davos as an assistant. Surprise, surprise. 

JM: There's going to be many people who are going to be ecstatic to hear you’ll be returning to Davos! Did your good friend Sadie St-Louis’ post-career aspirations inspire you to pursue something like this?

LS: Right on. We’ve been calling and texting a lot, and now that she’s been taking up all these GM positions for VHL tourneys as well as being AGM for the Marlins, I definitely felt like I still had some gas left in the tank as well. I hope she can score a full-time GM gig soon. I don’t think I’ve ever met anybody with a work ethic like hers. Bloody incredible shit she’s been able to do— pardon my language.

JM: Seems you two do just about everything together! Now how would you reflect on your VHL career? 

LS: I’ll give it to you straight and tell you I’m not good with words. I feel accomplished and happy. To be regarded by a lot of people as “one of the best goaltenders the VHL has seen in recent memory” as well as a Continental Cup and eight individual trophies to my name after entering the VHLM as an unknown prospect? Jesus, I don’t even know where to start on what I think about that. I still can’t believe it sometimes. With playing against Jesse (Teno), Joel (Castle), Ash (Sparks), and Fuukka (Rask) my entire career, I couldn’t have asked for better competition to push me harder every single day. 

JM: Many are even considering you a first ballot Hall of Famer! It’s clear you’ve left quite the legacy behind, Lachlan. Any parting words you have for our viewers?

LS: I just wanted to have fun out on the ice every night, because I knew that it wasn’t going to last forever. I’m happy with how my career turned out in the end and to move on to this next stage in life is something that’s bittersweet, honestly, especially with how many years I’ve dedicated myself to this sport. It's time for me and others in my draft class to hand things over to the next generation of VHLers. I hope I’ve done enough not only to inspire young Aussies to pursue ice hockey, as unconventional it may seem at first. This won’t be the last you see of me, though. 

JM: Thank you again for your time, Lachlan! On behalf of those at the DBC, we wish you the best of luck with your aspirations and congratulations again on the baby on the way!

LS: Thanks, Julian. Always happy to be here.

Spoiler

word count: 753