Blaine Olynick Rookie Profile

AwfulHomesick

Blaine Olynick Rookie Profile

ING112511fucale.jpg

Position: G

Handedness: Left

Height: 6'2"

Weight: 205 lbs

If you take a look at Olynick's numbers with the Mooseheads, you'll see a rollercoaster jumpstart in his first 2 years. Then in his 3rd year you'll see the elite numbers come back down to Earth, and crashing hard. Blaine has always been known for getting the results but not having the flashiest of numbers. Some experts credit his success to having a strong defense core in front of him.

After dominating leagues as a child, he knew that what was keeping him from progressing was a jump to a high competitive level. It was either college or junior hockey, and Blaine chose to play for the Halifax Mooseheads. 

QMJHL Career Stats

GP: 136

W: 78

L: 44

OTL: 14

GAA: 2.16

SVV%: .906%

Pros

• Commitment to winning: Since his junior playing years, his teammates always praised his desire to win and accept nothing less. Some may see this as a bad thing, but in a league as competitive as the VHL, the difference between a good and a bad player may very well just be the drive to win every game.

• Size: Most goalies would love to cover most-if not, all the net. Olynick's 6'4" frame very well helps his case. Having a shorter stride from one end to the crease to the other could help Olynick out when trying to stop those pesty cross-crease passes. Going down to a butterfly position would create a much wider barrier with his long legs donning the pads.

• Aggressiveness: Given his tall frame but yet wearing the pads, a skater may still take the chance of trying to get the screen in front of Blaine. He is no stranger to these kinds of tactics and ultimately is not afraid to fight for his crease. With the help of the defensemen in front of him, there very well may be 3 guys trying to clear the crease in front of a very congested crease.

Cons

• Consistency: Like any young player in a professional league, they are bound to have their ups and downs. For Blaine, consistency has been a work in progress. He'll have a game for the ages one night and the next he will have fans wondering where the goaltender of the last game went to. For any coaches, try to avoid playing Olynick in back-to-back games. It could take one loss after a very hot streak to bring him back to Earth.

• Vision: What plagued Blaine's junior career were shots from the blue line. Quick passing plays on the power play are hard to follow and he quickly loses his focus if executed perfectly.

• Rebound control: If you're a forward and if you're aiming a puck to Olynick's glove hand, be aware. It very well may not land inside of his glove and in front of your stick. This could be the weakest link of his game as his junior coaches will tell you. Since playing games at the junior level he has been working hard on trying to keep the number of rebounded shots to a low count.

10-03-halsports-fucale-mask-jh.jpg?w=618

Blaine Olynick, future VHL draftee

Edited by AwfulHomesick

• 2 weeks later...

I know this has been up for a while, and I'm sorry that we haven't gotten to it yet, but I'm going to give you the opportunity to look at the rubric again and make any changes if you want to since you're new here and I think this was your first point task. Otherwise, you're going to lose some TPE from this.

I know this has been up for a while, and I'm sorry that we haven't gotten to it yet, but I'm going to give you the opportunity to look at the rubric again and make any changes if you want to since you're new here and I think this was your first point task. Otherwise, you're going to lose some TPE from this.

I'm sorry for my stupidity, but I could see the 500 word requirement as a problem, but I can't really talk about much else without it being a bio. I have yet to play a game in the VHLM. Care to help me out here?

I'm sorry for my stupidity, but I could see the 500 word requirement as a problem, but I can't really talk about much else without it being a bio. I have yet to play a game in the VHLM. Care to help me out here?

It's fine, and it's not stupidity. You can still talk about your player's playing career before the VHL/VHLM, but the main focus is on strengths and weaknesses. The difference between this and the bio is that the bio also focuses on family life, personal life, etc..., while the rookie profile is strictly hockey related.

Content: 5/5 - This was a nice introduction to Olynick's previous playing career and gave us a good idea of what type of goaltender Blaine is. Goalies are a fickle bunch and their progression isn't always linear, but if you put in the hard work, I'm sure Olynick will have a very successful career. Good luck in the VHLM next season!

Grammar: 1/1 - Just a couple little things.

strong defense core = strong defensive core

knew that what was = knew what was

pesty cross-crease = pesky cross-crease

Appearance: 1/1 - Solid.

Over 500 Words?: 1/1 - Barely, but yes.

Overall: 8/8