Ryuu Called Up

SlapshotWrangler

CALGARY - Ryuu Crimson has been called up to the National Hockey League’s Calgary Flames. He has been doing well in the American Hockey League, getting 17 goals and 15 assists in 35 games. The former Riga Reign and HC Davos Dynamo winger had shown his scoring prowess in the AHL and we’ll be able to see what he can do in the big league now.

“Yeah. I’m pretty excited to have another shot at staying on an NHL roster. I hope I can play just as well as I have been in the American Hockey League. I’ve proven that I haven’t lost my scoring touch and I just hope I don’t lose it now.”

Ryuu Crimson hasn’t really had to fight for a roster spot so this has been a new experience for him. He thinks he is doing well and hopes that he can convince the coaches and the staff to allow him to stay.

“This whole fighting for a roster spot has been a new experience for me. In the VHLM and in the VHL, my roster spot has usually been guaranteed. And usually, I’m on the first or second line. But I hope I can continue to fight hard and maybe get myself that roster spot.”

The winger had a good career in the VHL, winning a Continental Cup in his first season as well as becoming the first rookie to win the Daisuke Kanou Trophy as the Playoff MVP. He amassed 175 goals and 244 assists for 419 points in his 432 games (6 seasons) in the Victory Hockey League. His career plus/minus is 107 and he has only had one season with a negative plus/minus. That season he had a plus/minus of -9. It was also the season where he had his lowest point total, 54. His best point total in a season is 89 points. Ryuu then retired, saying he probably wouldn’t play professional hockey anymore.

“Well, I guess I’m not the best promise keeper,” he sheepishly said.

I’m afraid I’m inclined to agree. Literally a few months into his retirement in the Victory Hockey League, he decided to try to get a shot at the National Hockey League.

“Hey. Every kid has dreamt at one point of making the Victory Hockey League or the National Hockey League. I did. I’ll see what I can do here in the National Hockey League. Besides, I get to play in my hometown. Sure, I’ve played against my hometown when I played against the Calgary Wranglers but this is a whole new experience.”

However, there are rumours that he might also be traded at the trade deadline. The Flames have been looking for a top six forward and if Ryuu is not the answer, he’ll probably be shipped off to another team. As the rumours and whispers continue to grow louder and are continued to spread around, Ryuu Crimson only has one thought.

“Well, I guess I’ll just have to prove to them that I am the answer.”