Bad Move? Or True Colors

d3vilsfire

sports-failure-this-has-never-happened-t

When Luxembourg made the jump from his local German team to Houston, there was a lot of excitement. Coming off a championship win with the Red Bull club, there was a lot of promise for the rising German phenom. With multiple offers from several teams, Luxembourg opted to sign with the Houston team seeing them as the best place to ease into the new hockey league without the pressure of competing for the cup.

Now 20 games into his VHLM career, the questions are surely rising on if this was a smart move. In 20 games with his Houston club, Luxembourg has scored 0 goals, and has only managed 2 meager points. On top of this, he is sitting at -5 +/-, with only 7 shots and 33 hits. One could say he maybe oriented towards a more defensive style, but even those stats are not good enough to justify the lack of production. On the ice, Luxembourg has seemed quite loss and out of place. Though he has demonstrated growth, there is legitimate fear if he can make the transition to the top flight. With the draft rapidly approaching, Luxembourg has also seen a drop in the Live Draft Rankings, seeing himself drop from 16 to 21.

With the freewill for Luxembourg, German outlets have reached out to the young player asking if he will continue his pursuit of a VHL career or return to German hockey. Despite the ever-growing doubt, Luxembourg has been resolute in his aspirations, continuing to train hard. The first one into the training facility and the last one out, Luxembourg has immersed himself into the sport. Interviewer after interviewer, have asked if Luxembourg’s play will translate into confidence for a top VHL club to draft him.

“While I understand my play does not exude confidence, I ensure that as I adjust to this new league, my play will improve. I simply need a chance, and I will be sure to take it and run with it. A team that drafts me will not regret it I promise,” Luxembourg said after the recent 2-1 victory over Halifax 21st.

In that game, Luxembourg once again went pointless though he was able to register 2 hits, and a 65.6% face-off percentage. Yet again, he had zero shots on net, which either demonstrates his failure to position himself in scoring opportunities, or simply just not up to snuff for the VHLM. While his face-off ability has grown siginpificantly, Luxembourg has yet been able to demonstrate enough consistency with it for it to be considered a weapon of his.

Luxembourg has hinted at an offseason return to Germany in hopes of finding his form if he is unable to get the mojo to be in his favor while in Houston. A summer of pumping iron and searching for himself in his hometown could prove to be the missing ingredient for the young player who could still have a long career if he is able to focus.

WC: 500

Edited by d3vilsfire