Becoming the starter

Xflexz

First games as a starter

Last season was my first full season. I was drafted by Las Vegas as the 57th overall pick. I was then promptly traded to Mexico City. In Mexico City, I rode the bench as a backup which is no big deal. I have to let some of those guys get some ice time before I become the greatest starting goalie the VHLM has ever seen. Las Vegas for sure made the biggest mistake of their lives trading me away because once I lift up that cup I’ll be sure to tweet them to let them know I am the best goalie to ever set foot on the ice. With me starting this season for Mexico City Vegas will look back at that trade with regret

The day before my first game as a starter all anyone would ask is “Are you nervous?” “You think you’re ready to be a starter?” “The Kings aren’t expected to finish well in the standings does that bother you?”. Ok look I’m the best goalie in the VHLM and in a few seasons, I’ll be the greatest of all time when I’m up there in the VHL. Why would I be nervous when I can lift my finger and stop any puck from these minor leaguers. No one can outmatch me. Any puck that goes past me is pure luck. If luck didn’t exist they would be handing me the cup already. Now that the air has been cleared on those ridiculous questions please stop asking and let’s get into the first two games.

The first game was against the Saskatoon Wild. It was a good game for me despite the score which was 5-1 Saskatoon. I faced 49 shots which is way too many. My defense in front of me was a bit shaky but I’ll give them a pass since its the first game and I’m sure they’re all nervous but I will expect more from them the rest of the season. The offense, on the other hand, was incredible and by incredible I mean horrible. The only puck that went into the back of the net was shot by a defenseman. On top of all of that we had 15 shots...yes 15 shots in the entire game, not one period the WHOLE GAME! How can we let that happen? I knew coming in our team would struggle in some games but this is unacceptable! I expect more from each offensive player for the rest of the season.

Now on to game two. This was a solid game for everyone (Except the offense again…) despite the 3-2 SO loss. The defense really improved only allowing 32 shots which is a massive improvement from game 1. The key to this team’s success is ME and the defense. The offense... Our forwards need to step it up if we’re going to win some games. Once again all our goals were scored by defensemen. Yes, the forwards are getting assist but that’s not the point. While the defense improved the offense only had 2 more shots than the last game. We must get some new guys in this lineup because what we’re putting out there isn’t working. Hell, we put a hotdog vendor on defense and he managed to get a goal that game.  Our third game will be better. We’re playing Houston and we all know Houston teams need a trashcan to win. We will not lose that game. I expect the finals score to be 6-0 Mexico City and if we lose they clearly cheated.

597 words, using for pt week ending 9/27