Claimed:Bobby Ricky Struggles Continue

VHLwhat

Bobby Ricky Struggles Continue

7281.jpg

It seems like last week that Bobby Ricky was claimed off the VHLM waivers by the Brampton Blades to help them reach the championship this season. Ricky joined the top team in the VHLM and was expected to provide some scoring depth to a team with the best goal scorers in the league already. However, things have not gone to plan early on as through ten games, Bobby Ricky has not got a single point and has only got four shots on goal. While the struggles were expected early on for the 18-year-old Bobby Ricky, the fact that he hasn’t scored a single point in ten games is something that may worry fans of the Blades.

While Ricky wasn’t recruited out of high school, he was expected to have serious skill in scoring the puck which has not worked so far in his early professional career. He looks to be overmatched during his time on the ice and doesn’t seem to have the confidence needed to succeed at this level. It was reported by one scout that Bobby Ricky can’t get out of his own head on the ice and it looks like Ricky wants to play it safe then to play aggressively to create scoring chances for himself.

On the practice ice, the coaching staff is ecstatic at what potential Bobby Ricky has but with the knowledge that he won’t be available for them next season, they are concerned that he isn’t performing in games. They have faith that he can start performing for them come playoff time but we decided to catch up with the 18-year-old right wing Bobby Ricky after practice.

nail-yakupov-interview.jpg

Reporter: So how has your time as a professional been so far?

Bobby Ricky: It’s been good and bad to be honest. I like getting paid to play hockey for sure as well as the step up in competition but being in a new place that I’ve never been before is scary for a kid fresh out of high school.

Reporter: Understandable. How has your relationship been with your teammates?

Bobby Ricky: Good overall. I know in high school I got in plenty of fights with teammates but I can learn a lot of these guys so I’m trying my best to be that player they can mentor.

Reporter: Your struggles on the ice have been evident in your early games with the Blades. What are you trying to do to improve your game?

Bobby Ricky: You’re right, I’ve played like shit since I got claimed by the Blades but I know that I’m gonna get better with time. People seem to forget that I’m making a jump straight from high school to professional hockey as a player that colleges wouldn’t even look at. I just have to keep working as hard as I can to keep improving and help my team win a championship.

Reporter: Final question for you Bobby, where do you see yourself as a player in five years?

Bobby Ricky: Well I would like to be one of the best goal scorers in the VHL but I know that I have a lot of development to do before I reach that level. I really think that I could become a player that is one of the best in the league.

Reporter: Thank you for chatting with me today and I wish you luck in the future.

Content: 3/3 What an interesting interview with Bobby Ricky. It would be cool if he could catch on and do better. I have a feeling you will turn some heads.

Grammar: 2/2 A couple small things but nothing to dock

Appearance: 1/1

Final: 6/6