jRuutu

It took me almost 500 games, but I made it - I have over 1000 penalty minutes! I still remember how after my rookie year I watched my stats and wondered whether I ever make it 1000. It's a long way from 127 to 1000. Hell, at that point I was not sure if I even get to play in VHL for that long. My first year in the league was not fireworks and full of promise.

Reaching this milestone and still playing in VHL today shows to everybody out there that you can achieve great things if you are willing to work hard. Not everything will go as you hoped, but it's important to remember that when a door in the penalty box closes, that is a door that you can open.

My career has been full of obstacles and challenges, but I never gave up. I have lost who knows how much money to fines. I have received who knows how many lectures from my coaches about the effects of taking penalties. All those were meaningless then. All those are even less meaningful now.

I have over 1000 career penalty minutes. That is something nobody can take away from me.