A Second Chance - Sigard Petrenko

DETROIT - Sigard Petrenko was drafted by the Detroit Red Wings in the second round. He was the 10th pick in the round three years ago. At the time, he was a high scoring right winger from the WHL’s Brandon Wheat Kings and even played as a third-line forward for Team Russia in the World Junior Championships. Three years have passed since that draft night and Petrenko was not re-signed by the Red Wings and no NHL teams have decided to take him. Petrenko played in the AHL for most of that time He scored 24 goals and 15 assists in his first year in the AHL, 30 goals and 10 assists in his second year, and for his third and final year with the Griffins scored 19 goals and 10 assists. And in those three years, he only played 6 games in the NHL, only scoring 1 assist.

It is safe to say that things didn't work out the way the young Russian hockey player thought it would. However, Sigard is looking for another shot at hockey glory and has set his sights on the Victory Hockey League.

“Yeah, the Victory Hockey League is a big and great league in its own right. I’ll definitely try my hardest to climb up the ranks and eventually make it. I mean, what else am I gonna do? Not try?”