Booberry Off to Houston

Card image cap

Houston, TX --  Xavier Booberry announced today that he has signed his first professional contract: with the Houston Bulls. The goaltender hailing from upstate Minnesota will be a backup in Houston down the stretch, and at his introductory press conference, the youngster sounded excited to be playing for the playoff-bound squad.

“The main thing I wanted when looking for a team was a chance to win, and I think we’ve got the team to do that here in Houston,” Booberry said. “If I’m able to get a few games here and there in net, that’s an added bonus. All in all I can’t think of a better situation for me.”

Indeed, the team has a link to Booberry’s agency as well – retired defenseman Lance Flowers played with Hall of Famer Julius Freeman, who now helps helm the squad. Due to that past history, Booberry told reporters that he has even more confidence he’s making the right call.

“There’s mentors out the wazoo here. You have Freeman, you have [starting goalie] van Giersbergen, you’ve got this great locker room of guys. It’s a learning season for me, and I plan on doing my fair share of listening,” Booberry added.

The S80 goalie will be on Houston for the remainder of this season, as well as however long the team lasts in the VHLM playoffs. From there, he will be entered into the Season 79 VHLM Draft, where he will hope to snag a starting spot for a VHLM team next season.