What do the numbers tell us?

jRuutu

360_F_253401739_VJ04F066tUFJy8UHbcxzuhRn

Yukon has five games left in the regular season, which means I have played in a total of 67 VHLM games in my career. That is a nice chunk of games and since I'm going to take part in the upcoming VHL draft, I'm going to analyze my statistics and see what comes up. That will hopefully give teams in VHL some ideas about what kind of player they could get and at the same time, I get some pointers on what part of my game I should work on the most during the off-season.

13 goals, 10 of them have been powerplay goals

That is a pretty interesting statistic. Ten powerplay goals are solid and perhaps one minor reason why Yukon has the best powerplay in the league, but only three goals in 5v5? That is not good enough for an offensive defender. Perhaps I should shoot more and/or practice getting my shots to the net more often.

113 shots in 67 games, shooting percentage: 11.50%

The shooting percentage is the 5th best among the Yukon players who have played 67 games, but only 113 shots. Indeed, I should shoot more. For comparison, Sylvester has 274 shots and Powers has 222 shots, so it's not like Yukon rarely gets the puck to the blueline for the defenders. I must admit that when the season started, I was a bit hesitant in shooting the puck as I was afraid of turnovers. As the season progressed I felt more confident with the puck. Nowadays, I actively look to score.

71 shots blocked, 134 hits
Offensive defenders are not known for their defensive skills. For example, blocking shots or actively going for the body, but I think I have shown that I don't mind blocking a shot or two, and even throwing my body around a little bit. Those 134 hits and 71 shots blocked are both the 3rd best totals in Yukon.

68 points in 67 games
Hard to be too annoyed with a point per game as a defender, but of course every player wants to improve and do better, I'm not any different. As I look back to the season so far, I could have more points. I have been getting into opportunities where I could, for example, shoot instead of passing, but I took the passing option and that has not always been the right one. I reckon my ability to make the right decision is getting better and better the older I get. I'm not some super athlete or skilled player by any means. I need to make mistakes more than few times in order to learn from those. I will get there.

95 penalty minutes
Perhaps the most ''worrying'' number in my record so far, almost 100 pims. No major penalties or fights, so all of those 95 pims are from minor penalties. That is not good. I need to do better in the future. Tough to say if there is any single reason why I have been getting into the box so often. Those 95 pims are the second most in Yukon.

Overall, I'm pleased with how my season has gone so far. I have improved as a player. I'm not just an offensive defender who can't do anything defensively. I have improved my defensive game and I will keep on doing so in the future.

My absolute favorite thing to read are player stat/season reviews! The layout is easy to read. And 100 PIMS!!!! Taking a vacation in the box I see. Also nice addition of a picture at the start! 10/10