By a Thread

CowboyinAmerica

:vas:

Vasteras, Sweden -- One-third of the way through the VHLE's inaugural season, the Vasteras Iron Eagles have picked up where they left off in the draft lottery tournament, sitting in first place overall (tied with Istanbul, but with a game in hand). But despite being the top name in the standings, it's clear that management and players alike don't feel particularly secure in their current position.

For starters, the VHLE has extreme parity this season - despite being in first with 28 points, Vasteras is only four points ahead of last place Bratislava and two points ahead of fifth place Cologne. Second, there's the pesky goal differential, where Vasteras actually has a -4 so far, indicating a market correction may not be far behind.

"I don't even look at it like we're in first right now. I view it like a six way tie at the top of the standings," goalie Xavier Booberry said after a recent game. "We absolutely can't rest on our laurels and need to play every game like it's a fight for positioning."

Still, there are reasons to be excited for Iron Eagles fans. The play of the offensive first line has been spectacular, with Kyle Peace sitting second in the VHLE in goals and Saku Kotkakoivu third in assists. The goaltending, meanwhile, has been a mixed bag - starter Xavier Booberry is first among regular goalies in save percentage, while backup Oskar Lindbergh is dead last. But Lindbergh is only mandated to start seven more games by league rules, which means if he doesn't show up to practice, Vasteras will get Booberry a lot more down the stretch.

"I'm ready for that increased responsibility if it comes my way," Booberry added. "We've got a lot of the season ahead, and my goal is to start putting some space on others in the standings."

Love it love the mix between players perspective and journalists perspective. Love the mentality of Booberry with the 6 way tied at the top. I would like more in game description but that my personal opinion. 9/10