In Between The Pipes - Sigard Petrenko

SlapshotWrangler

SEATTLE - Sigard was trying some new gear for a change of scenery. Goalie gear, in fact. Just for the fun of it, Sigard Petrenko decided to join in a beer league game and ended up wearing the pillows for one of the team. It was a very interesting match. And by interesting, I don’t mean that Sigard Petrenko did well. I mean interesting as in he pulled an Andre Racicot type of performance. Except, he was not playing in a major hockey league, of course. It was almost sad seeing the struggle Petrenko had in between the pipes. Let’s just say that it’s for the better that he is a forward.

“I’ve never tried being a goaltender before. My whole life, I’ve been blasting shots against them. Someone gave me the idea to try being on the other side and... yeah, that was definitely an experience. I mean, I’ve always appreciated my goalies and the bravery they have to face all of those pucks but now I think I’ve gained an entirely new appreciation for them. Like, I’ve blocked shots before but I can’t imagine the agility and vision you need to block 20, 30, or even 50 or 60 shots a game. Heck, I only had 13 shots against and I let in 5 goals.”

Yes, despite his tendency to block shots sometimes, Sigard displayed ineptitude in between the pipes. Lack of flexibility; he could barely get into a decent butterfly without folding his legs like a folding chair. Lack of technique; if the shot was higher than his waist, he probably couldn’t stop it.

Thankfully, the beer league team he played in front of was able to carry this sad excuse of a goalie’s behind through the game, winning 7-5. The only difference was that the other goalie faced 30 more shots. After getting showered in bullet-like pucks, Sigard took off the mask, thanked everybody and headed to his local Dick’s Sporting Goods in order to buy goalie gear. Will Sigard make the switch one day?

From what we saw, hell no.