Yun Chiang Interview on his future

nurx

After Yun Chiang’s massive 6 goal 7 point game, we were able to catch with him and ask him a few questions.

Great game Chiang, how do you feel about your performance this year?

I feel great! I am happy to play here in Miami and I believe that we can find ourselves in the playoffs if we keep playing as we are playing.

Have you enjoyed your time in Miami?

Yea I have the speed in the US is completely different than in China. I love the feel in the locker room and the feeling of proving people wrong both as a Chinese player and as a team that should not be competing for a playoff spot.

As your career marches forward what do you believe you could be doing after your professional hockey career is over?

I don’t really know, I guess it depends when my career is over. I would love to play this game for as long as I possibly can, but we will see what happens as time moves. My dream as a kid was to coach the Chinese National Hockey team, so I guess either coaching a Chinese National Hockey team or even managing the Asian team in the World Championship.

What makes you want to coach the Chinese National Hockey Team?

I want to grow the sport in my home country. China has plenty of kids that could become stars in the VHL, but they just don’t have the coaching available to them. I believe the first step to expanding hockey in China is for a player who played in the VHL to come back to China and coach those kids to their full potential. I also would love to see a VHL, VHLE, or even VHLM team in China to bring more fans to the sport.

Are there any other possible jobs you would wish to do?

Not really, I really want to return back home and improve hockey in China. I hope one day that I will be able to help do that whether that be as a coach to a national team, a coach of a youth team, or even an equipment manager for a professional team in China.

Do you have any extra comments?

I actually do, after this current season I will be going back to China and will be hosting a youth training camp for Chinese citizens under 16. The training camp will be occurring the same days as all of the VHL drafts, so these kids will get to see a player to hopefully get drafted into the highest level of hockey. I hope that this will become a yearly activity as I grow older and I hope it will be a stepping stone into my dream job as coach of the Chinese National Hockey Team.

Thank you for your time Chiang.

Thank you for having me!

Yun Chiang has performed very well over the last few games, slowly moving up to 14th in goals on the season after joining the Miami Marauders part way through the season.

Words 512