a tale of two Brothers // Giant Slayers

Daniel Janser

Swiss Central Gazzette

Our intrepid heroes played three games since last we reported from them. They were facing Ottawa (2nd of the league with a 33 points to the Reapers), Mexico (one rank and one point ahead) and Minnesota (3rd with 25 points difference to the Philadelphia team).

Against all odds, the Reapers were able to win against the Canadian team with 5-4 in overtime. The game started badly for the Pennsylvanian outfit as the first period went to the Lynx with 2-0. However, in the second period, JP scored at 0:15 minutes the first goal for the Reapers after four seconds of power play. Simeoni won the draw, Daniel picked up the puck and redirected to JP who had a wide open net and no problems to bury the puck. At the 6:49 minutes mark Jones scored an other power play goal after 30 seconds into the one man advantage, he deflected JP's onetimer from the blue line to which Daniel provided the pass from the wing. The second period ended 3-1 and the third 1-1 which meant it was sudden death time. Sanderson took that narrative literal and scored the  game winner with a nice deke on the rush after only 37 seconds into extra time. Des Aves outperformed Red Menace  .871 vs .821. The Reapers power play was decent with 2/7 and the penalty kill okay-ish with 3/4. The three stars were awarded to Sanderson (1g/0a), Simeoni (1g/1a) and JP (1g/2a).

Marcel logged 0g, 0a and -1

Daniel had 0g, 2a, -1 and 4 PIM (Hooking and Holding, the latter leading to a goal against)

The second game was a sweep for the Reapers who won 7-0.

All periods went to the Philadelphian team with 2-0, 3-0, and 2-0. Daniel scored the 3-0 2:09 minutes into the second when Jones rushed along the boards, passed back to Iaxazaluoh who one-time and Dan buried the rebound on the near post. It was Cadmael's 50th Assist of the season for Daniel's 25th goal. At 06:00 in the second Mursu scored on a missed shot from JP, who made an attemp after a backhand saucer pass from Marcel on the rush. The Reapers played cat and mouse with the Mexican defense. Only 0:39 seconds into the final period, Daniel scored again after a textbook passing relay with Powers and Jones on a wide open net. In accordance with the result, the three places of honour were swarmed by Reaper players. Jones (2g/2a) was first followed by Ayodele (2g/0a) and Des Aves, who showed a stellar performance with his shut out. The power play was 1/1 and penalty killing obviously 5/5, which is perfection in its purest form. More of that, please.

Marcel recorded 0g, 1a and +1

Daniel achieved 2g, 0a, +3 and 2 PIM (Holding which logically did not lead to a goal against)

Fate has a way to not let the Reapers get to highminded, as the following game against the Storm was lost 5-2.

Minnesota came out hot and at the end of the first period, the score was 3-0, with the Northerners scoring two goals in power play. The second period went 1-0 to the Philadelphia with Bernier's 22nd of the season. He was fed the puck by Marcel and Mursu. Unfortunately, in the third period Storm scored two back-to-back goals. With 49 seconds left on the clock Daniel scored the final score 5-2 with a power play goal top shelf from the point after he was fed by Jones and Simeoni. The Storm won the game due to the first period and because they had twice as much attempts on goal than the Reapers (37-19). The goalies were almost on par with a slight advantage to Grubauer (.895 vs .865). The power play was on par percent wise (25% efficiency each) but the Pennsylvanians took eight minors and Minnesota only four.

Marcel was noted with 0g, 1a, -1, 2 hits (tied second) and 5 shots blocked (top of the team) 

Daniel recorded 1g, 0a, -1 and 2 hits.

Due to their Herculean efforts against Ottawa and Mexico, the Reapers stay on a playoff spot for the time being, but the Marauders are lurking on rank 9 with only one point difference and one game less played.

The Jansers stats for the season as follows:

Marcel: 53gp, 13g, 28a, 41pts, -7, 40 PIM, 58 hits, 113sb, 1gwg, 6ppg

Daniel:  53gp, 27g, 29a, 56pts, -17, 38 PIM, 109 hits, 24sb, 3gwg, 6ppg, 1shg

Daniel was ranked by VSN as one of the up and coming players for the second time and is also considered a top prospect by scouts at rank 12, Marcel is ranked 40th overall. Not bad for two rather small and defence-first players.

When Saratoga Steele, our correspondent in Philadelphia approached Daniel for a statement in that respect same replied: 'I cannot say that it is not exciting that GM's and scouts appreciate my development and potential. I made huge progress since I moved to North America. However, the draft is some time in the future and at the moment I focus on the task at hand: to make the playoffs. We have some very difficult games ahead of us, and we need to collect points in order to secure one of the playoff spots as the Marauders are not far behind and they just wait for us to drop the puck. Literally and figuratively.'

Please find some related articles below:

https://vhlforum.com/topic/109546-a-tale-of-two-brothers-wind-of-change/

https://vhlforum.com/topic/109768-a-tale-of-two-brothers-a-new-dawn/

https://vhlforum.com/topic/109821-a-tale-of-two-brothers-settling-in/

https://vhlforum.com/topic/109868-a-tale-of-two-brothers-high-honours/

https://vhlforum.com/topic/110009-vsn-s80-under-200-power-rankings/

https://vhlforum.com/topic/107753-pre-draft-live-s81-class-rankings/

I always love reading that series, sadly you didn’t mention the threes stats of the games but you add the little standing stats in the beginning so it’s equalize. Also nice little touch to add the scouting ranking and I think it will be a nice battle between our players for reaching the top 10 (mine is at 11) ;). I’m always looking for one of your media spot after the day and you always delivered. 10/10