Coaching for GMs (beginners)

Dabnad

Hey everyone, I’m back for the week! This week we will be learning about how to coach GMS. As someone who has never GMed you should probably take my word like a grain of salt but this is my best understanding of how to be a GM and what you should do as a GM. Remember, this is  just my understanding and most likely very far from the truth. Other than that I’ll be stating some obvious things and some not-so obvious things in the article. After that, we can start this article which was very overdue for me. Remember that this is a very poor guide for new GMs I’m not the expert here but this may give you a rough idea of what to do.

1. Making Lines
I think that this is one of the more obvious ones out of the list however, making lines is something which is the GM’s most important job. Making lines can break the best team and make the worst team depending on how the team is made. For example, putting the backup start a lot while making lines can hurt your team while having your first line forward not play enough minutes will often hurt your team as well. Making lines are a big art which many people think they’re amazing at however, often don’t get enough support and don’t have enough experience to be perfect.

2. Motivating the Team

This is another one of the obvious ones which is actually hard to implement in the real world. This is something the GM has to do no matter how good or bad their team is. A GM must know how to keep moral high to help stopping trades in their team and to help stop too many people from asking for trades, a GM must know how their team views the game weather it be from a winning point of view of the loyalty point of view. This is another one of the things which looks easy but becomes hard because if you end up over promising, the objective can fire back at you hurting you more than helping you.

3. Contacting the Heads

This is a thing which every GM must know. A GM must be able to talk with the heads of the league without being inferior of the heads and have strong bonds with the heads. This is a reason why many teams with older and experienced GM can get a bit more out of the top rather than the new GMs. This may feel like bias however, this is a very true thing which you can’t change no matter what you say as a result of the bonding created by experience.

4. Making trades

This is one of the hardest things in the job of a GM inside this league is making trades. When you start making trades, it can often demoralize the team however, this is one thing which is very important, trading players is something no GM wants to do however, you have to be harsh sometimes and if you’re not harsh, it can cause a lot of harm in the long term for the team.

Now I know that these aren’t a lot of thing however, according to me these are the 4 most important things you must do as a GM. Granted there are a lot more things which you have to do however, these are the most important in my eyes. Also did I do this because of the new job in Toronto and I thought of this? Of course I did this because of the new job in Toronto. @comrade catdid inspire me in this after he had to support 4 people in the job. Anyways, it’s Dabnad signing off until next time.

632 words