Mack Attack April

pugsood

The Sun Gazzette continues its monthly coverage and update of Northern Virginia native and now former SBA basketball player Alvin Mack, as he continues to be eligible in the VHL, despite not having entertained any overtures by the league and its general managers to date. Our beat reporter Jordan Smith caught up with Mack on April 12th, 2022 at the Intercollegiate Athletics Forum at the IMG Academy in Florida.

Smith: Same question, different month - any plans on pursuing hockey?

Mack: You guys are relentless. I think every time I meet with a reporter, or go live on Instagram, or am chatting about something publicly where the subject of hockey is brought up, or even not brought up, I get asked this question. I hate to break it to you for the n-teenth time, but no, I have no plans on pursuing hockey. I do, however, really enjoy the community around hockey - the fans, the franchises, the playoffs, so I don't see myself ever exiting hockey altogether. But no, no plans on playing.

Smith: Your protege, Steve Lattimer, is entering his 4th season with Charlotte, having signed a Max extension. What are your thoughts on how he's done in Charlotte and his trajectory?

Mack: Well I think if you ask anyone around the SBA, you'll hear that Charlotte hasn't performed to their lofty expectations. That's a team that wants to compete for titles every year. But it hasn't gone that way. I think Lattimer is in the best position of all the years he's been there going into his 4th season. Guy's got a more well rounded game, he's focused on defense because he's focused on ways to support a winning ballclub which you just don't see with many young guys who are focused on themselves. Steve outworks everyone. One of the biggest differences is that they got rid of that cancer of a guard from last season. Let's just say I'm not surprised they busted out early with that guy on the team. I think Charlotte's poised and you're going to see Lattimer as one of, if not the most improved player in the league because he's going to be doing everything out there, maybe not primarily, but he'll just flat out contribute.

Smith: We're meeting at the Intercollegiate Athletics Forum. What are your thoughts on the Name, Image and Likeness era that we're in in college athletics?

Mack: I'm glad this era is here. I think it's very sad that it's arrived in the state that it's in, meaning that there's virtually no regulation. Collectives, boosters, inducements dressed up as NIL deals. It's a joke. Could've spent years productively coming up with guard rails, working with brands, social media companies, technology to build a system that works and serves everyone. Instead you have misaligned expectations, misconceptions, and frankly abuse. That being said, like everything else, things will settle. I'm looking forward to the 98% of student athletes who do not go pro in the sport they play having every opportunity available to monetize their personal brands. Whether that's 50 bucks or 5 million bucks, it doesn't matter. It's a good thing.

Smith: Thoughts on the previous SBA playoffs?

Mack: I honestly stopped paying attention mostly after Charlotte busted out. Congratulations to Houston for winning again, I happen to think their time at the top is about to come to a close, but with their GM at the helm, they'll always be a top 5 contender. I just have a feeling that this is the season they end up not winning it all.

This wraps up the April edition with Alvin Mack.